Thursday, September 5, 2013

Pumpkin scones, the savoury edition: Hemp seeds, nutritional yeast, and herbs

Earlier this year, I made pumpkin and date cardamom scones and I loved them. A lot.

What I didn't mention at the time was that I also made pumpkin savoury scones, with hemp seeds, nutritional yeast and herbs. I loved them too, a lot.

I had put this recipe aside for Vegan MoFo*, thinking it would be in October and I might partake. Given Vegan MoFo is this month, and I have no other posts to deliver today!, I'm bringing it out now instead.


I know I proclaimed my enjoyment of the cardamom and date scones, but people...these might actually be better. I couldn't decide between them at the time, and I can't decide in hindsight, but I will say that at the very least they are a draw. It's entirely possible these are just a little ahead.

I liked these plain and with vegemite, and if you like cheese, I imagine they'd work very well with that too.

Pumpkin scones with hemp seeds, nutritional yeast and herbs
Makes 8 scones
Vegan


Ingredients
1/3 cup milk of choice
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 cup self-raising flour, plus extra for dusting
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup cooked and mashed pumpkin (1/2 small butternut pumpkin)
2 tbsp nutritional yeast
1 tbsp hemp seeds
1 tsp dried dill and/or mixed herbs to taste

Method
Preheat your oven to 220'C and line two baking trays with baking paper.

Combine the milk and apple cider vinegar in a small bowl or jug and set aside to curdle.

Combine the flour and baking powder in a large bowl. Add the mashed pumpkin and work through with your fingers until the mixture resembles bread crumbs. Add the nutritional yeast,  hemp seeds and dill and mix through.

Add the milk/vinegar mix to the flour/pumpkin mix and stir through lightly. Turn onto a floured surface and knead lightly, just until the ingredients are combined and a soft dough has formed.

Roll the dough out to 2-3cm thickness (about 1 inch), cut into circles, and place on your prepared baking trays.

Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden.


My advice: Make these.

*My level of Vegan MoFo disorganisation is highlighted by this being my only prepared post waiting in the wings.

What do you think - would you choose cardamom and date or this savoury pumpkin edition?

24 comments:

  1. I am so stoked to hear about Vegan MoFo! All my favorite blogs will be jam-packed with recipes.

    This one looks so awesome :) Scones remind me of the ones my gran made as a kid, and they were just the best with a bit of jam and cream.

    But these, which contain my absolute favorite veggie are sure to be a winner :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vegan MoFo is definitely a good time of year to collect / bookmark recipes :) I'm glad you like the look of these and hope you enjoy them if you try them!

      Delete
  2. I love pumpkin scones and I love them even more savoury - sadly I haven't made them much now that sylvia has declared her dislike of pumpkin. I am sad you aren't able to do vegan mofo but glad we got this recipe anyway

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if you'd get these past Sylvia if you didn't tell her about the pumpkin? I found it wasn't at all strong.

      Delete
    2. She is even suspicious of colour - she was even reluctant to eat bread today that had a yellow hue due to some polenta - little people don't miss a trick!

      Delete
  3. I have yet to make scones, but I've been wanting to make them. These look delicious. My oven is currently out of commission, so hopefully I'll get the chance to make a version of these once it's working!

    I missed the sign-ups for Vegan MoFo altogether...super bummed. :( I thought that it would be in October too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Changing dates are tricky aren't they?! Next year we'll have to be on the look out well ahead of time!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Between the vegemite pairing and the inclusion of nutritional yeast, I do think you'd like these :)

      Delete
  5. I love pumpkin scones so I know I would enjoy these very much xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your uni. students probably wouldn't like the carbohydrate but that would at least leave more for you ;)

      Delete
  6. I'm still sad that you aren't doing MoFo this year too - these scones would have made a great addition. I would definitely choose the savoury version which sound perfect with a touch of vegemite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For someone like you, these would definitely be a better choice than the sweet!

      Delete
  7. That's an amazing mix of herbs and ingredients. I am loving this one, I have to now try your cardamom ones too, very tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look delish Kari :) I mean, pumpkin and Vegemite? I'm so on that! My fave is mashed banana and Vegemite on toast though..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never done that! I'll definitely have to try :-)

      Delete
  9. loved the pumpkin and date scones so i'll def have to give them a try too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then you can help me decide which are better!

      Delete
  10. Sometimes I think savory scones are more fun than sweet because they're so unexpected! Love that you used pumpkin in this way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True! And you can justifiably eat them at any time of day ;)

      Delete
  11. I think I will have to take your advice here and make these immediately!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love these - pumpkin scones are fab!

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).