Saturday, May 5, 2018

Orange and date pikelets (mini pancakes)

It is a long weekend in the UK, and contrary to stereotypes of rainy bank holiday Mondays, the weather is set to be glorious. I hope to do our first bike ride of 2018 and fit in a picnic.

These pikelets would work well for a sunny spring outing, but equally, they could cheer you up if the weather is cool and rainy. They are easy to make and easy to eat. Whilst sweet from the dates, they are also free of added / refined sugars.

As a child, my mother used to make delicious orange and date muffins, and these conjured up memories of those. I may turn my attention to a muffin version soon but for now, pikelets provide a quicker way of conjuring up the classic orange-date flavours.

It was only after making these that I discovered a similar recipe I posted on here 3 years ago (orange and date drop scones). I suspect as time goes on I will accidentally re-create more recipes, forgetting what I have done in the past. This version is slightly simpler than my 2015 one but there isn't much in it.

We ate these as snacks but they could provide an on-the-go breakfast too.


Orange and date pikelets
Simple to make and delicious to eat
Vegan and free of refined sugar

Makes approximately 16 small pikelets

Author: Bite-sized thoughts

Ingredients
1 cup plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
Juice and zest of one orange
1/2 cup pitted dates, chopped
1 cup non-dairy milk of choice (I used unsweetened almond)

Oil, if needed, for cooking.

Method
Whisk together the flour and baking powder in a large bowl. Add the orange juice and zest, chopped dates, and milk. Stir until fully combined.

Set the batter aside while you heat a non-stick pan over medium-high heat. When the pan is hot, transfer dessertspoon-sized scoops of batter into the pan (I cooked 4 pikelets at a time). Cook for 3 or so minutes until bubbles appear on the surface, then flip and cook for a further 3 or so minutes until both sides are golden brown. Repeat for the remaining batter.

Serve hot or cold.

What are you snacking on this week?

7 comments:

  1. These sound lovely. I have made recipes and found I have blogged very similar ones before but the context changes and so do the photos even if the recipes are similar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly - last time I made these we were in a different house / city and I was pre-Mini Bite! Different times :-)

      Delete
  2. Pikelets are always a hit in our house too. I love the additions you've added though. Funny about the re-posting of similar recipes. I think we are drawn to favourite flavour combinations so it's almost inevitable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose it's a good sign really - classic flavours and all that!

      Delete
  3. I love pikelets, though more often than not in a savoury way. I really like the sound of orange and date together. I hope you got to enjoy them with the good weather!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These sound great. I love pikelets.

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).