Sunday, May 13, 2018

Giant wholemeal couscous salad with a tahini-maple dressing

I look back at my last post with a certain amount of wry acceptance. Alas, my hopes of long weekend bike riding and picnicking were not to be. Poor Mini Bite came down with a stomach bug early on Sunday morning and was unwell for the next 3 days. Poor Mr Bite had the same thing on Friday through to Saturday, and I am desperately hoping it ends there. (I had 24 hours of nausea but nothing more dramatic - at least to date!)


On to happier topics. This meal is, to me, the epitome of comfort food. 'Salad' usually conjures up images of crunchy greens but this dish is hearty and soothing. It pairs giant wholemeal couscous with sweet potato and peas, plus seasonings of paprika, turmeric and cinnamon and a simple tahini-maple dressing. You can enjoy it hot or cold, and as a side or main dish.


You don't have to use wholemeal couscous for this but it adds a slight nuttiness if you can find it. I do recommend giant couscous here rather than the regular sort, as it is chewier, heartier and altogether more comforting.


You could easily add legumes or tofu to this if you want a higher protein meal.

Giant wholemeal couscous salad with a tahini-maple dressing
Simple, nutritious comfort food
Vegan
Serves 2 as a main or 4 as a side

Ingredients
1 cup uncooked giant wholemeal couscous
1 small sweet potato, cooked and diced
1/2 cup green peas, cooked
2 tsp dried ground paprika
1 tsp dried ground turmeric
1 tsp dried ground cinnamon
1 tbsp tahini
1 tbsp maple syrup

Method
Bring a saucepan of water to boiling point, then add the giant couscous and reduce to simmering point. Cook, covered, for approximately 7 minutes.

When the couscous is cooked, drain, and combine with the cooked sweet potato, peas and spices (paprika, turmeric, cinnamon). Drizzle the tahini and maple syrup over the top and stir through.

Serve warm or cold, alone or with a green side salad and/or some legumes or tofu. 

How has your week been?!

10 comments:

  1. sorry to hear your weekend plans were thwarted - but your giant couscous sounds lovely - I tried some earlier in the year and was disappointed but have had some out at a cafe and enjoyed it since so it make me want to try again - glad to see some inspiration here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's worth repeating as I really love it and am sure with the right sauce / flavours it would win you over.

      Delete
  2. I hope mini and mr bite are on the mend, its not nice when your w/e disappears like that with barely any rest for anyone. As for the giant couscous, i am going to give it another go again as your dressing appeals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you are all feeling better. This salad sounds like a hearty and tasty meal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear you've been ill. Children are such little germ factories - great for immunity building though! I do love giant cous cous, I should hunt some down to make a comforting salad too... warm salads are so appealing when the weather is cool! The dressing sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am awaiting the immunity building results! Thanks Lisa.

      Delete
  5. I hope you managed to escape unscathed. I think if you lose a weekend to illness, you should be able to take time off the working week (I've yet to convince any employers of this, mind!) I love the chewiness of giant cous cous, and your recipe looks like it would be both deliciously comforting and filling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect your policy would win with most people, albeit perhaps not managers!

      Delete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).