Friday, May 18, 2018

Carrot applesauce muffins

I'm pleased to say that Mini Bite and Mr Bite are back to full health. Mini Bite, in particular, is eating to make up for lost time and it is sometimes difficult to fill her up. I made these muffins to help get us through days of meals, snacks and more snacks!


We have also managed our long awaited first bike ride of 2018, and I hope to get out again this weekend. The weather is perfect for cycling and it is joyful to be on a bike again after so many months. 
 


Regardless of what you're up, these muffins make for good snacking or an easy breakfast. Unlike carrot muffins I've made before, these don't feature fresh apple but use applesauce as a sweetener. With a drizzle of fruit or maple syrup and a scattering of raisins, the applesauce allows the muffins to be sweet enough without packing too much sugar.

My applesauce was sweetened but 100% apple varieties would give an even lower sugar result. I also used chunky apple sauce and enjoyed the texture this provided, with some soft apple pieces noticeable in the final muffins. However, smooth versions would be fine too.

Of course you can use fresh apple in these - but for a carrot-apple muffin I'd refer to my 2011 recipe.



Carrot applesauce muffins
Sweet but not too sweet, these carrot muffins allow for nutritious snacking whilst still tasting great
Makes 12 standard muffins
Vegan

Author: Bite-sized thoughts

Ingredients
1-1/2 cups plain flour
1/2 cup rolled oats
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
3/4 cup apple sauce
1 tbsp fruit syrup (I used Sweet Freedom) or maple syrup or other liquid sweetener
1/4 cup oil
1-1/2 cups grated carrots
3/4 cup non-dairy milk of choice
1/4 cup sultanas or raisins

Method
Preheat your oven to 175'C (350'F) and grease a 12-pan muffin tray.

Combine the dry ingredients (flour, oats, baking powder, cinnamon) in a large mixing bowl. Add the apple sauce, fruit syrup, oil, carrots and milk and stir through until fully incorporated. Fold through the sultanas or raisins.

Scoop the batter into your prepared muffin tray and bake for 16-20 minutes, until golden and firm.

Serve warm or cold. 

What are you enjoying this week?

9 comments:

  1. I liked the look of these so much I thought I might make them tonight but have run out of energy - maybe soon! Mini bite looks very cute in her bike seat - hope she enjoys the long rides!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She isn't so fond of long rides, but loves short to medium, and certainly prefers the bike to the buggy!

      Delete
  2. I don't use apple sauce in baked good often, but I find it gives a really nice moist cake. These look fab, and I'll be giving them a try - they sound like they wouldn't be overly sweet, which really appeals. Hope there's more biking ahead too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joey - they'd be a good snack for biking now I think about it!

      Delete
  3. So glad to hear that everyone is well again. Mini Bite looks very cute on the bicycle. These kind of muffins are fab for lunch or as a general standby snack.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love using apple sauce in muffins! I make something very similar to pop in lunchboxes (for people big and small!) with great success. I'm pleased to hear your household is looking up healthwise. I'm so impressed by how lush that green grass looks behind Mini Bite :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. English spring is so incredibly green. Every year I am amazed by it!

      Delete
  5. its so good. i like that Carrot applesauce muffins. i want to make some muffins on my grand mother birthday
    Surprised at Maui Wedding Package

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).