Tuesday, May 1, 2018

In my kitchen - May 2018

I am linking this into the monthly In My Kitchen round-up, hosted by Sherry of Sherry's Pickings.

We all say this regularly but...how is it May? We're more than one quarter of the way through 2018 and I don't know where the days and weeks are disappearing to.

With the new month upon us I am sharing another peak into my kitchen, which this month brings a mix of old and new products.

'Old' includes these red onion and chive bagels from the New York Bakery Co. I've enjoyed them at various points over the years, moving through phases when bagels appeal and then phases when I'm not too interested. Mini Bite actively disliked these, which is unusual for her, but I find them a nice (if denser) change to bread.


Another rediscovered product is kiwi fruit. I have spent the last 25 or so years actively avoiding them, after I ate a kiwi fruit every day for months as a child and then got thoroughly sick of them. It seems 25 years is enough time for my kiwi interest to return.



I also re-made my apple and carrot loaf cake this week after posting it in my Easter recipe round-up. On Tuesdays (my day home) Mini Bite and I often go to a toddler playgroup, and they were looking for volunteers to help with baking, singing or story telling. My singing and story telling skills are best kept at home so I signed up to bake. I'm pleased to say the cake was well received.




Moving on to new products, I was excited to see new flavoured Tetley teas in our latest weekend shop. Unlike most flavoured teas, these really do conjure up the flavours they claim to: chocolate mint, cookies and cream, and gingerbread. The only slight downside is that they are flavoured black tea, and I usually drink rooibus (caffeine free) these days.


I was also very excited to pick up a pack of the new vegan Cornetto ice cream cones. Vegan really is mainstream when you can buy products like this! I haven't tried them yet but am sure they'll be fun to eat.


Not quite vegan (it contains honey) is this cocoa and coconut 'superflake' cereal by Nature's Path. The flakes are made from sprouted black bean flour and brown rice flour. It is pleasingly low in sugar for a chocolate-flavoured cereal but still more of a snack than a breakfast item.


To continue the chocolate theme, I recently saw the hazelnut flavour of Divine chocolate for the first time. I love the Divine range because they have a variety of dairy free dark chocolate blocks, and their ingredients are fairtrade and ethically sourced. This hazelnut block tastes like Nutella in dairy free solid form - and is thus very tasty indeed.





Not quite as tasty, although edible, were some courgette fritters I made on a whim last week. I included peanut butter and banana and this mix with courgette and chickpea flour was not quite right! You live and learn.


 What is happening in your kitchen this month?

13 comments:

  1. Interesting packaged goods -- I hope you'll soon also have lots of fresh greens and fruits -- local to wherever you live -- as spring finally gets going! We have really been waiting for something to grow as it's less than 2 weeks since the last snowfall (I hope it was the last).

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry, there are always lots of fresh greens and fruits about too :-) With spring produce here the choices are definitely getting better. I hope your spring weather kicks in soon.

      Delete
  2. Ah so nice that you too have discovered the flavoured Tetley teas. I so agree with you with the downside, the gingerbread is my fave so far. Not yet tried the cookies and cream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest, the cookies and cream isn't as good as the other two and gingerbread is my favourite too :-)

      Delete
  3. Your apple and carrot loaf looks amazing. Vegan Cornettos have not reached Oz as far as I know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. vegan cornettos are not a thing here yet i think. i reckon they'll be popular when they do come. kiwi fruit?! i'm a bit blah about them. they are so squishy and just like a squishy tomato, i cannot stomach them. squishy stuff - eek! has me running. thanks for joining us again at IMK land. cheers sherry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I can sympathise having spent 25 years avoiding the fruit! Maybe there is hope for you to be a convert too ;)

      Delete
  5. Those bagels sound really nice - I love flavoured bread as it does not take much to make an interesting sandwich of it. I go in and out of bagels too. And kiwi fruit I like it is nice and firm. It's nice you can bake for the toddler group and you make such nice healthy bakes I am sure they would be welcome - the plate is very fancy - is that yours? I am disappointed the cornetto looks like it has peanuts on it - which means we would be unlikely to try it if it came to our stores but hopefully they will try more vegan flavours if they do well. And the hazelnut chocolate sounds divine indeed. Sorry the fritters didn't turn out - they look prettier than the grey soup I made this week (it looked like something from Oliver)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grey soup does sound challenging for photography purposes! I guess we can't have successes all the time.

      The Cornettos do have peanuts I'm afraid, but having tried them now, they're not very exciting anyway. That sounds a bit precious as it's great to have the option, but a flavoured cone would be more appealing.

      The plate the cake on is mine - it was a wedding gift from my family in Canada with maple leaves decorating the ends. I really love it.

      Delete
  6. Ooo - I'd not heard of either the DIvine chocolate or the vegan Cornettos - but I'll be tracking down both. They sound great. And I wouldn't say no to a cup of one of those teas too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those teas sound nice - cookies and cream anything and I am sold!

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).