Wednesday, May 3, 2017

In my kitchen - May 2017

I am linking this in to the monthly In My Kitchen round-up, now hosted by Sherry of Sherry's Pickings.


Despite the above photo, in my kitchen there are no more spring flowers. I was delighted to grow tulips for the first time this year, but they are finished and local daffodils are looking rather tired. We are fortunate to have lots of bluebells flowering near us, but it seems spring bulbs flower earlier each year and so finish before spring is over.

My In My Kitchen posts often feature novel products or treat items, and so I thought I'd share an insight into my 'normal' products this month. As the photo below shows, we are not one to have an empty fridge (!) and at any given time there will be several Tupperware-style containers filled with leftovers or washed fruit.


In the picture above, and roughly from left to right, the top shelf has a near empty jar of stem ginger; some expressed milk that hasn't yet been frozen (!); a can of softdrink that belongs to Mr Bite; an Alpro chocolate 'dessert moments' soya pudding; another Alpro chocolate soya pudding; and a red Tupperware container with some sweet potato and spinach nuggets. The second shelf features this orange cake made in a loaf shape, and the third a collection of Mr Bite's chocolates (mine don't live in the fridge), some hummus, a pack of tofu, and an avocado. The cake was made to welcome my mother-in-law, who as I've mentioned is visiting from Australia.


The bottom shelf, shown above in closer form, has almond milk, oranges, Alpro's new soya-oat yoghurt, raspberry and blueberry punnets, lots of sauces, two tubs of Coconut Collaborative coconut yoghurt, and plastic tubs with washed grapes and prepped carrot sticks and broccoli florets.



If you were to look into my cupboards, there are some organised jars with spices, nuts, oats, dried legumes, sugar and flour, and then some less organised shelves with all manner of foods. My cereal 'wardrobe' is currently quite restrained, with weetabix, low sugar oat Cheerios and a flakes and fruit mix made by Tesco. There is also muesli, bought for my mother-in-law's visit.


My tea collection is always large and currently includes regular tea, Earl Gray tea, Rooibos tea, green tea, liquorice tea, chai tea and ginger tea. There is also regular instant coffee, flavoured instant coffee and decaffeinated instant coffee. I am quite well set for hot drink options! Since I took the below photo, I have also bought Early Gray Rooibos tea, which I love.



Sticking with the 'normal' theme, I remembered to snap photos of some typical but fairly boring lunches. The photos below feature a 'high protein' roll made by Lidl, which I love for its intense graininess, filled with hummus and salad; and then a plate featuring spinach with tahini and sweet chilli sauce, baby potatoes, and butter beans.


To include a little bit of novelty, Holland and Barrett currently have their penny sale running (buy one and get one for a penny) and so I took the opportunity to stock up on Naked bars. The Lemon Drizzle flavour is meant to be a limited edition option, but I hope it becomes permanent because I love it.


Holland and Barrett were also discounting dairy free Christmas chocolates, and I am not one to pass up such an opportunity. The mini orange santas were particularly delicious.


Last but not least, I spotted these new wrap options in Sainsbury's last week. The 'skinny' wraps remind me of Australia's mountain bread range, which I adored but can't find here (except at an exorbitant price at Wholefoods). The front packet of 'tacotillas' offers smaller but doughier wrap pieces, and I enjoyed them too. As the name suggests, they would work well for soft tacos or for tortilla wraps.


What is happening in your kitchen this month?

17 comments:

  1. I love a good peek into people's kitchens, round up or no round up! I tried those soya dessert moments and I was pleasantly surprised. Your kitchen is so pretty and organised! And I wish I'd snapped up some H&B Christmas chocolate too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My H&B had quite a few packs so I almost bought two!! ;)

      Delete
  2. Your kitchen looks very well organised - I am particularly impressed at the washed fruit and chopped veg - I need more advanced food prep in my life. Your lunches look really good. I am surprised you are buying leftover christmas chocolates as we haven't even seen leftover easter chocolates lately. BTW - Sherry's pickings is now hosting IMK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me know about the new host - I think I had known but forgotten. Much appreciated!

      Mini Bite has spurred on my advance food prep but I do wonder how I'll do when back at work...

      Delete
  3. What a well stocked and healthy fridge, I am well impressed at the amount of fruit you have there. I need to eat more fruit and not just in cake! I was in Sainsbury the other day and saw Nakd Bars in there for 50p each, i picked up some for my husbands lunchbox, for when I can't be bothered to make flapjacks. I am hoping ot have my IMK post up this evening. I have visted Lidls a few times, but its a bit out of my way - but have been very impressed with the bakery section and yes, those rolls are good with hummus - perfect for lunch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have since spotted the Sainsbury's discounted bars too! Now I want to buy more :P I struggle more with vegetables than fruit serves and suspect I could easily eat my 5 a day in fruit alone if I let myself.

      Delete
  4. Kari, I very much admire this glimpse into your kitchen (refrigerated or otherwise) -- brave and honest, xo. You probably won't be seeing my fledgling cupboard space and/or fridge anytime soon, lol -- still trying to reorganize the chaos and "what works for me." LOVED your beautiful blue rimmed plates, the buy one/get one 'Naked Bars' and post-Christmas chocolate Santa's. Dairy free and orange flavored? Oh yeah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the chaos settles for you soon! You'll have to stock up when it's organised :-)

      Delete
  5. LOL, your kitchen is much tidier than mine. I'd take all of those chocolates - they sound great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your fridge and pantry look organised and jam packed. A bit like my own. I try to run them down occasionally to use up the excess jars and packets but there always seems to be more filling it's place. Buy one get one for a penny? That sounds like a deal. I'm always buying reduced seasonal lollies – who cares if I'm eating Halloween skeletons in December?

    I'm back from a break from blogging and reading blogs so enjoyed reading your post. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean about more things filling in space when you try to run cupboards down! I'm terrible at getting down to basic supplies.

      Welcome back - it is lovely to hear from you :-)

      Delete
  7. crumbs your fridge and pantry make me feel guilty about the disorder and mayhem in mine. and your diet is so incredibly healthy! yep i am a definite Neanderthal order wise.:) thanks for joining in this month. hope to see you in next month's IMK too. cheers! sherry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry, my diet and my kitchen go downhill regularly!! ;)

      Delete
  8. I'm not so sure I'm ready to open my cupboards for everyone to see. We have moments of great organization and moments of complete chaos! You seem to be doing well with meal prep, that's something I always intend to do but it doesn't happen often. Lidl's is coming to the east coast of the US, our city is getting one next summer. I'm quite excited as I enjoyed shopping there when I lived in Germany and Austria.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy rediscovering Lidl when it arrives! And don`t worry, there are times when my cupboards are not fit to be opened never mind shared :D

      Delete
  9. Your kitchen looks very fun! Your fridge is even more full than mine haha! But similar with all of the ready to go foods in containers. Food prep is a life saver!
    Oh I want to track down that lemon-y nakd bar! Sounds delicious.
    And your tea cupboard is quite impressive!

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).