Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Mini avocado hot cakes

These mini hot cakes were inspired by my avocado scones with hemp seeds. They could also be called savoury pikelets (if you're Australian) or drop scones (if you're British) or just mini pancakes. Whatever you call them they are an easy and portable savoury snack or meal accompaniment.


I would have liked these to be greener but the avocado didn't give a discernible colour. In truth, it doesn't provide a strong flavour either, although you will know it is in there. Similarly, you can just about detect the other ingredients (chia seeds, nutritional yeast, tomato paste) but none of them are heavily present. I liked this as the result was a background of flavours rather than a single dominant taste. It also means you could spread these with toppings or serve them alongside a stew or soup if you so wished.



I made these to take for a picnic lunch with Mini Bite. Thus, we had them plain and also cold. I actually preferred them cold to hot from the pan, largely because I'm not a big fan of hot avocado. They certainly work well for a packed lunch and store well in the fridge ahead of being transported out and about.

Mini avocado hot cakes
A fluffy savoury snack or side
Makes 10 - 12 small hot cakes
Vegan

Author: Bite-sized thoughts


Ingredients
1 cup plain flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp chia seeds
1 tbsp nutritional yeast
1 small avocado, roughly mashed
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 cup unsweetened almond milk

Oil, if needed, for cooking

Method
Combine the flour, baking powder, chia seeds and nutritional yeast in a large mixing bowl. Add the mashed avocado, tomato paste and milk and stir through. Allow to stand while you heat a non-stick pan over medium-high heat.

When your pan is hot, drizzle or spray with oil if needed. Use a dessertspoon to scoop batter into the pan, cooking 3 hot cakes at a time if using a regular sized frying pan. Cook for a few minutes until bubbles start to appear on the surface, then flip and repeat until both sides are golden brown.

Serve hot or cold.


Is it picnic weather where you are? And what are you eating this week?

6 comments:

  1. These sound really lovely - I had an avocado fail the other day when I just could not get it right and ended up frying it because it was not quite ripe enough - I guess I could have used it here because it would soften a little more as it cooked though maybe it would not mash so well. A great snack for a picnic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Johanna, and I am interested in your approach to frying avocado as I haven't done that. It is hard getting them to the correct ripeness sometimes though.

      Delete
  2. Savoury scones and pancakes seem to be popular at the moment and I am not grumbling, i like them both.
    These avocado hotcake sound unusual yet so lovely. you got me curious I even followed your scone link too, I am even more intigued

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shaheen - your savoury scone recipe was well timed for this theme!

      Delete
  3. I love pikelet! I haven't made any for so long, but they're just delicious. I'm all for putting avocado in unexpected dishes and definitely in baked goods. I did try to make some savoury muffins with avocado in and they really didn't work, so I'm heartened that they do work in baking, just not with me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I`ve never baked with avocado in oven form so maybe stove top cooking is easier? Or just a personal taste thing!

      Delete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).