Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Easy lentil, spinach and tomato puff pastry triangles

I have previously posted a recipe for Indian-spiced lentil and vegetable pastry puffs. Today's post is basically a simpler and quicker version of that recipe. These lentil-filled triangles are not as extensively flavoured as their Indian counterparts but they are still very enjoyable.



With the possible exception of puff pastry (although I do often have a pack in the freezer), these triangles use ingredients that I always have to hand: lentils, spinach, tomato paste and paprika. I suspect that these are kitchen staples for many of you too. Thus, they are a handy emergency meal if you want something that looks impressive but actually comes together in about 30 minutes. As a bonus, they are child friendly and pastry tends to help hide vegetables and legumes if you have people in your house who aren't fond of either!

As my pictures show, I use the term 'triangle' loosely  here. I am not very skilled with pastry (again, as the pictures show) and I made some triangles and some less clearly shaped parcels. Do whatever works for you - triangles are neat but the different shapes all taste the same.


I used a pack of Jus Roll puff pastry (which is vegan), which is two rolls at 320g each. This makes about 12 pastry triangles and would serve 4 to 6 with a salad-style side. If you're more dedicated than I am, you could make your own pastry instead.

Easy lentil, spinach and tomato puff pastry triangles
If using store bought pastry, these can be made and cooked in roughly 30 minutes
Makes 12 pastry triangles
Vegan

Author: Bite-sized thoughts


Ingredients
1-1/2 cups cooked lentils (1 tin)
2 cups baby spinach, roughly torn or chopped
2 tbsp tomato paste
2 tsp dried paprika
640g (1 pack of Jus Rol) puff pastry

Non-dairy milk of choice, to brush the pastry

Method
Preheat your oven to 200'C (390'F) and line 2 baking trays with non-stick paper.

Combine the lentils, spinach, tomato paste and paprika in a bowl and stir to combine.

Cut your pastry into 12  triangles and lay out on the prepared baking trays. Spoon some of the lentil filling onto half of each triangle, leaving space around the edges to seal the pastry shut. Fold the other half of the pastry over and press the edges together to seal.

Brush with a small amount of non-dairy milk.

Bake for 10-15 minutes until golden brown.



What easy meals are you enjoying this week?

6 comments:

  1. I like this idea - I have the other pastries bookmarked and never done which is not to say I haven't planned to make it and had my plans go awry - but I don't often have puff pastry in the freezer (esp now that Sylvia has discovered she loves any leftover pastry baked with cheese between layers) - esp lately. But I am all for easy meals - tonight I made miso soup with tofu, veg and noodles which was really easy and really delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your soup sounds fantastic (and healthier than pastry!) - I hope you post it so I can take inspiration :-) It`s handy that Sylvia loves pastry too as I am sure you can hide things in with the cheese!

      Delete
  2. That Jus Rol pastry is a lifesaver at times of minimal cooking mojo. I think these would be so easy to scarf down one or two, and then realise you've eaten the whole plate!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds simple and delicious! I'm in =) And I think your pastries actually turned out quite well - they are so cute!

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).