Saturday, May 20, 2017

Orange hemp energy balls

It has been a long time between hemp seed recipes. Indeed, it has been a long time since I have had hemp seeds in my kitchen. I am pleased to have a bag on the go again now and suspect you will see more recipes featuring the seeds before too long.

I like hemp seeds for lots of reasons, including, if I'm honest, their amusing hippy connotations. I feel a bit like I should be living in a commune and wearing tie dyed clothes when I use them. They are also from the same species as cannabis and so (to a closeted, non-adventurous soul) it feels rather daring to pick them up in a local store. Those points aside, hemp seeds are fantastically nutritious - rich in healthy fats, protein, iron, and a whole host of vitamins and minerals. They also have a nutty, earthy flavour that I very much enjoy.



Hemp seeds are technically a nut rather than a seed and you want the shelled variety for this recipe. They are pretty readily available these days and while they were illegal to buy for consumption in Australia when I lived there, I believe they are now legal as a food.

These orange hemp balls are a great way to try out hemp seeds if they are new to you, because the hemp flavour is subtle and the orange balances it perfectly. Dates and apple provide sweetness and oats give a soft-yet-firm texture. I really liked the final product and these make great portable snacks or even an easy breakfast. The balls need to be refrigerated to stay firm but are perfectly enjoyable at room temperature too - just rather soft.


As shown, I made a mix of large and small balls but the recipe would make roughly 20 of a standard energy ball size.

Orange hemp energy balls
Delicious orange flavoured energy balls with the earthy nuttiness of hemp but plenty of sweetness from dates and apple
Makes roughly 20 standard sized energy balls
Vegan

Food processor required

Author: Bite-sized thoughts


Ingredients
1/2 cup hemp seeds (shelled)
1/2 cup roughly chopped and pitted dates
1 cup rolled oats
Zest of 1 medium orange (approximately 1 tbsp)
1 apple, quartered (no need to peel)
1 tsp vanilla

Method
Combine all ingredients in a food processor and process until well combined and starting to clump together.

Roll into balls of your desired size and place in the refrigerator to firm up. Store in the refrigerator.

Are you a fan of hemp seeds?

11 comments:

  1. Good to hear you having hemp seeds again - might inspire me. I had not heard that hemp seeds had been legalised in Australia but looks like it has happened quite recently. Using them in energy balls is a great ideas and I like all your ingredients here so they must taste good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I somehow remained on an Australian mailing list from a hemp seed company, thus my knowledge of the change! It's good they've come in line with other countries as it was a bit silly before.

      Delete
  2. I love hemp seeds too and feel very hippy-ish when I use them too Kari. :)

    I just got a new bag so I'm going to try these out! I'm always looking for new energy bite recipes and these look really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes it's nice to channel one's inner hippy ;) I'm glad these appeal!

      Delete
  3. I haven't done so well with hemp seeds, always bringing home the shelled one and then I ditched them as I was unsure how to shell them - any advice.

    These energy balls look good by the way and very different.

    I thought I better tell you as you commented on the Bristol VegFest 2017 blog post that I just found out that this was the last VegFest in Bristol, but I don't know why. I am sad about that as we make a day of it and meet up with friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a shame it was the last one - extra good you made it!

      I'm afraid I haven't got experience with shelled hemp seeds so am equally unsure how to shell them. I will have to make sure I don't accidentally pick up that variety myself or I'd be in the same predicament!

      Delete
  4. I love all the flavours in these. I have never seen hemp seeds for sale but I have never looked!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They might be quite recent given the recent Australian law change! Health food shops used to have them, but often in 'cosmetics' sections as they were only allowed to be sold for non-edible purposes :P

      Delete
  5. I always see hemp seeds at the health food store and wonder whether to buy a bag and what I'd use them for - and now I know! Looking forward to more hemp recipes for inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're useful wherever you might use chia seeds as an easy rule of thumb!

      Delete
  6. Heehee your musings on hemp seeds made me giggle ;)
    These sounds so good! So very different than the kind of hemp/date balls I normally make. I look forward to trying them out!

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).