Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Cocoa and paprika split peas

In the spirit of reducing food packaging and preparing ingredients in advance, I cooked up a batch of yellow split peas on the weekend. Some have been eaten plain or simply, but this cocoa and paprika mix gives a more adventurous variation. Borrowing from the concept of a mole sauce, the split peas are flavoured with cocoa powder, paprika, cinnamon and tahini. If you are in the mood for something spicy (oddly for me, I wasn't) then a dash of chilli powder would be a great addition too.


I enjoyed this with a new bread discovery - Polish sunflower seed sourdough bread - but the mix could also top rice or quinoa, fill a wrap, or balance out some sweet potato fries. Indeed, it is tasty enough to be eaten plain if you so desire.


Cocoa and paprika split peas
A delicious way to flavour split peas
Vegan
Serves 2

Author: Bite-sized thoughts


Ingredients
1-1/2 cups cooked yellow split peas
1 small red bell pepper, chopped
1/2 - 1 cup kale leaves, chopped or torn
1 tbsp cocoa powder
1/2 tbsp ground paprika
1 tbsp tahini
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Method
Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan and heat over medium-low heat until warmed and the pepper/kale are cooked to your preference.

Serve with bread, a grain of choice, sweet potato or alone.


Submitted to Healthy Vegan Fridays.

Are you enjoying any bulk cooked ingredients this week?

10 comments:

  1. Oh lovely, yellow split peas are a recent discovery for me, and I really love them now. That recipe looks so good - a hearty winter meal. I need to find some of that bread!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just found the bread at a Tesco, albeit a large one! It's really great. I'm glad you like the look of the split peas too :-)

      Delete
    2. HOW I GET A LOAN HELP @ 2% INTEREST RATE With victoriafinancier@outlook.com

      I was not sure of getting a legit loan lender online But when i could not face my Debt any more, my son was on hospital bed for surgery that involve huge money and i also needed some money to refinance and get a good home then i have to seeks for Assistance from friends and when there was no hope any more i decide to go online to seek a loan and i find VICTORIA LAWSON Trust Loan Firm (victoriafinancier@outlook.com) with 2% interest Rate and applied immediately with my details as directed. Within seven Days of my application She wired my loan amount with No hidden charges and i could take care of my son medical bills, Renew my rent bill and pay off my debt. I will advice every loan seeker to contact VICTORIA LAWSON LOAN Company with victoriafinancier@outlook.com For easy and safe transaction.

      *Full Name:_________

      *Address:_________

      *Tell:_________

      *loan amount:_________

      *Loan duration:_________

      *Country:_________

      *Purpose of loan:_________

      *Monthly Income:__________

      *Occupation__________

      *Next of kin :_________

      *Email :_________

      Delete
  2. oooh tahini and cocoa is one of my latest favourite combinations but not sure I have had it in a savoury meal - sounds really good - and it is interesting that you are cooking split peas to avoid packaging - this is one of the pulses that I always buy from the bulk pulses bins but I really need to work on my pulses like chickpeas - which you have reminded me of the bag of them I got from the bulk bins but still haven't cooked

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too always buy split peas in bulk but the challenge is then cooking them up so I reap the benefits :P

      You can probably tell I love tahini and cocoa too given it's appeared in sweet and savoury recipe combinations lately!

      Delete
  3. This recipe excites me, esp. your use of cocoa in it. I will have to give this a go. Added now to the other bookmarked recipes from bitesized kitchen. I have been very good so far with cooking some bookmarked recipe and its still January!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is impressive! I hope you like this if you try it :-)

      Delete
  4. Sounds interesting!!! Cocoa and tahini are great flavours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a cool idea to do a take on a mole sauce! This sounds delicious!

    Thanks so much for linking up with us for Healthy Vegan Fridays! I’m Pinning and sharing!

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).