Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Chocolate and tahini baked oat bars

When I shared some favourite porridge / oat combinations last year, it was my chocolate tahini porridge that got the most enthusiasm. With good reason, too, as it makes for a wonderful way to start the day.


Whilst I always enjoy traditional porridge (oatmeal to Americans), I also enjoy oats in other formats. English flapjack is one example. These chocolate and tahini bars are another. Inspired by my chocolate tahini porridge, they are semi-sweet, gorgeously chocolatey, studded with tahini tones, and utterly delicious. They would provide a perfect make ahead breakfast or an easy snack on the go. I've been enjoying them at pretty much any time of day.


If you have tried baked oat dishes then you will be familiar with the texture of these. They are chewy rather than firm, with a soft but dense texture that holds together well without being crispy. You could easily use a nut butter instead of tahini but I recommend tahini if you have it, because the flavour pairs so well with the other ingredients and really contributes to the overall finished product.


I made these minimally sweet, so if you want a sweeter product you could increase the liquid sweetener to 1/3 cup or even 1/2 cup (or add some dried fruit). I also drizzled the bars with Choc Shot chocolate syrup and encourage you to do the same, or use whatever chocolate syrup you can get. If you don't have a brand you enjoy, a scattering of dark chocolate chips would give the same result.

I ate these cold, but I imagine they could be reheated and served warm too. Similarly, I've had them plain but they could be accompanied by fruit or yoghurt if you so desire.


Chocolate and tahini baked oat bars
Makes 10 bars / squares
Vegan

Author: Bite-sized thoughts


Ingredients
1-1/2 cups rolled oats
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 cup unsweetened almond milk
1/4 cup liquid sweetener of choice (e.g., carob syrup, rice malt syrup, agave or maple syrup)
1/3 cup tahini
Generous drizzle of Choc Shot chocolate syrup or an alternative vegan friendly syrup, or, a handful of dark chocolate chips

Method
Combine the oats, cocoa powder, milk, sweetener and tahini in a mixing bowl and stir well to combine. Set aside while you heat your oven to 160'C and prepare a square baking tin.

When the oven has heated, transfer the oat mixture to your prepared tin and distribute evenly. Drizzle with chocolate syrup or scatter over chocolate chips.

Bake for 16 minutes or until browned and firm. Allow to cool fully before cutting into slices.

What breakfasts or snacks are you enjoying at the moment?

10 comments:

  1. Woah these look delicious - I am very fond of the choc tahini flavour combo - I am curious about the baked oat bars - are they a lot softer than flapjacks? I always want my flapjacks to be chewy but they are either too soft or too crunchy and often in pieces! I am wondering now about adding some tahini to my chocolate muesli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are definitely softer than flapjacks. I think of flapjacks as chewy but really quite firm and with a slightly crunchy edge. These hold together well but are much softer and closer in texture to a dense cake, if that makes sense.

      Tahini in chocolate muesli sounds fantastic :-)

      Delete
  2. These do look good - I can see how tahini and chocolate would definitely be good together in a nice chewy bar. I started putting them into my porridge after you mentioned it last time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never had the tahini and oats combination and then you go and throw in some chocolate syrup too which means I may have to try this for a change from the dried fried and nut flapjacks I make. I don't have choc. syrup so will use choc chips as suggested.
    Expect them on my blog at some point, which reminds me I have another one of your recipes bookmarked somewhere too, must find it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like this, and the other recipe, if you make them :-)

      Delete
  4. Flapjacks are one of my favourite childhood treats (especially the chewy kind!)....Im not sure if youve heard of the bakery Chatwins, but they do the BEST flapjacks. I also loved that you used tahini in this recipe!

    theglowwithin.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't heard of Chatwins but clearly need to do some research!

      Delete
  5. These sound SO MUCH BETTER than the regular old oat bars I'm used to. Chocolate everything please. They sound totally delicious =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kimmy - I need to make myself another batch as this one went way too quickly (entirely my own fault!) :-)

      Delete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).