Thursday, September 29, 2016

Porridge and oat combinations: Current favourites

It is that time of year where hot porridge (oatmeal) features as often as cold oats made milk or yoghurt. Truthfully, the cooler weather would have me tipped more to favour porridge by now, but with a little one in the house it is not always possible to find the time to make and eat porridge hot. Made ahead oats are easier. This post features some current favourite combinations of hot and cold oat varieties.


If you liked the sound of my peanut butter chocolate avocado pudding you may be drawn to peanut butter oats topped with chocolate sauce. I mix one-third cup of rolled oats with approximately 200g of unsweetened coconut-soya yoghurt and 2 tablespoons of PB Fit powder. Drizzle with Choc Shot sugar-free chocolate sauce (or sauce of choice) and top with berries or banana. Extra peanut butter is optional!

I also like a hot version of this mix made with the same ingredients but cocoa powder too - similar to the chocolate tahini porridge I've shared before.

Another good yoghurt-oat mix is a tropical combination made with oats, yoghurt and dried tropical fruits (I love papaya and pineapple) as well as a sprinkling of coconut flakes. To stick with the tropical theme you could top with mango, pineapple or banana but my bowl below features pear because it's what needed using at the time.


Sometimes I just want a simple yoghurt-oats mix using flavoured soya yoghurt pots. The bowl below used raspberry yoghurt with nectarine and cherries topping things off. I usually prefer plain yoghurt if I'm eating it, well, plain, but I do like flavoured styles in this form.


Switching to hot options, one of my all time porridge favourites is apple and raisin (which I've featured before in my porridge five ways post). Take one-third cup of rolled oats, one-third cup of unsweetened almond milk, one-third cup of water (or more milk), one chopped apple, a decent sprinkling of sultanas or raisins, and a teaspoon each of vanilla and cinnamon or mixed spice. I never get tired of it. If I'm in the mood I drizzle a bit of liquid sweetener over the top, but you don't really need it. Similarly, you can add almond butter but it's delicious with or without.


If you do get tired of an apple mix, peach porridge is an easy alternative: just substitute peach for apple and dried chopped apricots or dates for the raisins.


Other hot porridge favourites are those I've shared before - the chocolate tahini version mentioned above, as well as the gingerbread and hazelnut-cocao nib styles shared in this post.

Chocolate tahini porridge

Oats are definitely a versatile food - and I'd love to hear your favourite flavour combinations too.

Submitted to Healthy Vegan Fridays.

What breakfasts (or breakfast-style snacks or lunches!) are you enjoying at the moment?

14 comments:

  1. I am back into having chocolate muesli and yoghurt recently - I go hot and cold on porridge (no pun intended) but you do make it look good - esp the tahini chocolate one with all those lovely berries

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chocolate muesli and yoghurt sounds great!

      Delete
  2. Porridge will be on my menu too as its getting cold indeed. I love your variety - the chocolate and tahini appeals the most, though they all look good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At the risk of sounding stereotypical, I imagine porridge is particularly well suited to Welsh weather ;)

      Delete
  3. I eat porridge most mornings, and sometimes I struggle to find new things to do with it, so thank you for the ideas! Normally, I use a mix of seeds, dried figs, and frozen berries to try and make it look a bit more lively.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are very creative with your porridge. I just go for cinnamon, chopped strawberries and banana on mine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Made ahead oats are easier." You bet! They are definitely my favourite. They actually tend to sit better in my stomach for some reason. I do know as the colder weather starts (which isn't for another mont here), I will probably start to prefer the warm variety.
    Sign me up for chocolate tahini! These all sound great though - good variety options to shake things up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy your remaining month of warm weather and cold breakfasts while they last!

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohhh yes the weather begins cooling down and the hot oatmeal comes out. For now I'm loving the nectarine and cherry combo. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do so love porridge. Blueberries are delightful right now so they feature heavily in my oat dishes. Also strawberries, which are super cheap and sweet. Love the peanut butter combinations!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such great ideas for oatmeal. I'm still trying to find my way to eating oatmeal but your recipes may have convinced me - the chocolate ones especially!

    Thanks so much for linking up with us for Healthy Vegan Fridays! I’m Pinning and sharing!

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).