Thursday, September 8, 2016

Easy chicken-style vegan burritos

This is a meal with many shortcuts. The burritos and salsa were store bought, and the chicken-style pieces come courtesy of Quorn. It is also easy to make in advance, something I have found helpful if Mini Bite naps during the day. Whereas workday dinners needed to be made from start to finish as efficiently as possible, maternity leave dinners benefit from two-stage preparation! I confess this is also a meal with photography shortcuts but the recipe was good enough that I am posting it even with the poor images.


The advance preparation here meant cooking up the vegetables and Quorn pieces in the afternoon, and compiling the burritos then, before cooking everything through in the oven in the evening. The dual cooking time means you can get away with chopping rather than grating the vegetables. A bonus if you are avoidant of manual vegetable grating and dirtying your food processor unnecessarily!



Once you get past the use of ready made ingredients, this is a meal packed with well-rounded vegan nutrition. I really enjoyed it as an alternative to the legume-filled burritos I've made before and it was highly praised by Mr Bite too. His version had cheese, so if you are vegetarian (or like vegan cheese) that's an easy adaptation to make. Of course, it's also not necessary to make this in two stages and you can go straight from stove top cooking to oven baking if that suits you better.


Easy chicken-style vegan burritos
A delicious, easy to prepare meal for 2 (increase quantities as needed)
Vegan; can be gluten free if using GF wraps

Author: Bite-sized thoughts


Ingredients
1 cup tomato salsa
1 large carrot, diced
1 large courgette, diced
1 pack of vegan Quorn chicken-style pieces, or equivalent chicken-style pieces
2 cups baby spinach
4 burritos, tortillas or wrap breads, ideally flavoured with herbs (I used the Mediterranean herb wraps made by Lidl)
1 small avocado, chopped

Method
Heat a non-stick pan over medium-high heat and add 1/4 cup of the salsa along with the carrot, courgette and Quorn pieces. Stir frequently for 10 minutes and then reduce heat to low and add a further 1/2 cup of salsa. Allow to cook, stirring occasionally, for a further 10 minutes. Add the spinach and cook a further few minutes, until the spinach has wilted down.

Place your burrito pieces in an oven-proof dish. Fill each with a quarter of the vegetable-Quorn mixture and a quarter of the avocado. Roll up and then spread the top of each burrito with some of the remaining 1/4 cup salsa. Sprinkle with cheese if desired.

If cooking straight from the stove top, bake in the oven at 160'C / 325'F for approximately 10 minutes. If you make the burritos ahead of time and are cooking them from the fridge, bake in the oven at 160'C / 325'F for approximately 20 minutes.

What easy meals are you enjoying at the moment?

12 comments:

  1. I like your two step approach. I often do this with leftovers. Once one component is made, it is pretty easy to get together a meal like this - I love burritos but don't buy tortilla enough. Will have to put them on my shopping list. My lazy meals lately have been tomato lentil stews and lo mien with noodles and veg and tofu. I remember a lot of interrupted meal preparation when sylvia was a baby - and still have some occasionally now

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interrupted most things in truth :p I like the sound of your lazy meals!

      Delete
  2. I love me some burritos! We are actually in the process of making loads and putting them in the freezer, ready for when baby arrives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look darn tasty! I am a huge fan of burritos, mine are often filled with spicy beans, should try with 'chicken pieces'. I like shortcut meals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine normally have beans too...I hope you enjoy this approach if you try it.

      Delete
  4. Embrace the two step approach! I love bean-y burritos, but the chicken idea sounds tasty too. I'm not sure about baked avocado... it weirds me out to have it warm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to feel the same but somehow it works for us! But you could omit easily enough, or add some on the side at the time of serving :)

      Delete
  5. Sounds really good! I haven't tried Quorn yet - I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have more vegetarian than vegan products but we have fewer vegan meat substitutes here in the UK than in the US so it's great as an option for dishes like this :)

      Delete
  6. Two step meals often make an appearance in my house, so I can fit cooking around studying and working and all that fun stuff! I love a good burrito - sounds delicious. I have a real weakness for readymade salsa - it always tastes better than anything I make!

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).