Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Creamy blackberry vanilla smoothie

If I had to compile a list of the top 10 things I love about the UK (and it would be a difficult list to compile), I suspect picking wild blackberries would make it on there. To someone raised in Australia, blackberries are a novelty in their own right. To be able to walk 20 minutes from my house and pick them freely from bushes is amazing.


This smoothie features blackberries picked in such a way, but if you're not able to gather wild berries yourself, store bought, frozen or a different type of berry could be used instead. The other ingredients are simple: kale (for nutrition), avocado (for the creaminess), and vanilla (for a delicious flavour). You can make this with water or your milk of choice. It's not a super sweet smoothie, but it is sweet for a green smoothie in disguise. If you like sweeter drinks, adding a few dates or some liquid sweetener would do the trick.



Creamy blackberry vanilla smoothie
An easy vegan smoothie filled with flavour and nutrition
Makes 1 large serve (an entire NutriBullet cup) or 2 medium serves (as pictured above)

Blender required

Author: Bite-sized thoughts


Ingredients
1 cup blackberries
1 cup kale
1/2 medium avocado
1 tsp vanilla paste or essence
2 cups cold water or non-dairy milk of choice

Method
Combine all ingredients in a blender and process until smooth.

 What are you drinking at the moment?

12 comments:

  1. Foraging blackberries sounds amazing when just finding them in the shops is hard here - love the purple colour of your green smoothie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Johanna, it is a novelty that will never wear off I suspect!

      Delete
  2. Wild foraging anything sounds amazing! The colour is glorious. I'm having lots of teas at the moment - it's been constant virus after virus all winter here, so tea is both comforting, and a way of getting extra liquids into me when I don't feel like it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This smoothie is such a stunning colour! We went blackberry picking the other day, although it wasn't too successful, but we did make smoothies with some of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tend to get about a cup each time...so not overly productive but luckily there are lots near me so I can get a cup a day if I desire!

      Delete
  4. I have never been blackberry picking - it sounds fun. I've been apple picking and strawberry picking - I'd like to go blackberry picking! It sounds fun. How nice you have somewhere so convenient to pick them.
    This smoothie sound good! I love the addition of kale & avocado. I prefer my smoothies not to sweet for the most part, so this sounds perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to try apple and strawberry picking :-)

      Delete
  5. I am with you on foraging blackberries, for me it also brings back many childhood fond memories of my time with my parents and siblings; a couple of years back even D and myself got our hands stained with blackberry juices http://allotment2kitchen.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/fresh-strawberry-and-blackberry-on-raw.html
    I've never made a smoothie with it though and now I want to try it, what a fantastic colour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are quite stainy! Probably not as bad as beetroot but perhaps close :p

      Delete
  6. It is so cool that you can just go for a stroll and go berry picking. That would not happen here for most of us. Your smoothie looks great.

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).