Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Honeycomb and chocolate chip biscuits {Happy Christmas}

Honeycomb has been on my 'to make' list for a long time. On the weekend, I ventured into making it and then went one step further with these honeycomb and chocolate chip biscuits (cookies). They are easy to make, easy to eat, and a fun twist on standard chocolate chip combinations.


A word of warning, though, on baking with honeycomb: it has a tendency to explode out of your biscuits if you put too much in. I used nearly a cup of crushed honeycomb pieces and found some oozed out of the biscuits to form a burnt caramel layer on the baking tray. I have reduced the quantity in the recipe to half a cup, and advise keeping a close eye on the biscuits from the 8 minute mark!

 
If you make a batch of honeycomb as I did, you'll have enough to make the biscuits and keep a cup or so of honeycomb pieces. Honeycomb is incredibly sweet (hardly surprising given it is effectively just sugar) but nice in small doses.

Both the honeycomb and the biscuits got a tick of approval from Mr Bite. The biscuits themselves are adapted from my trusty basic chocolate chip biscuit, which I've previously shared in combinations like cranberry and dark chocolate biscuits and strawberry and white chocolate biscuits. I'm pleased to add the honeycomb variety to the mix.

I'm not repeating the honeycomb recipe I used because I followed this BBC Good Food recipe exactly (other than skipping butter to line the tin).


Honeycomb and chocolate chip biscuits (cookies)
Soft, chewy, delicious biscuits with studs of honeycomb flavour and chocolate chip chunks
Makes 15 biscuits
Vegan

Author: Bite-sized thoughts, originally adapted from a recipe in Kris Holechek's The 100 Best Vegan Baking Recipes


Ingredients
1/2 cup non-dairy spread, loosely packed
1/4 cup white sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp cornstarch
1 tbsp non-dairy milk (I used unsweetened almond)
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 cup plain flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
Pinch salt

1/2 cup dairy-free chocolate chips or chocolate chunks
1/2 cup crushed honeycomb pieces (see this recipe for honeycomb)

Method
Preheat your oven to 180'C (350'F) and line two baking trays with baking paper.

In a large bowl, beat together the non-dairy spread and sugars until light and fluffy. Add the cornstarch, milk and vanilla and beat briefly to combine.

Add the flour, baking soda and salt to the spread/sugar mix and stir through, mixing well to combine. Divide the mixture evenly into two bowls.

Add the chocolate chips and honeycomb pieces and mix through.

Using your hands or a spoon, create heaped tablespoon sized balls of dough and place on the baking sheets, about 2 inches apart. Press down to flatten slightly.

Bake for 8 - 10 minutes, until cookies are golden at the edges but still soft in the centre (they will harden on standing). Watch closely from 8 minutes as the honeycomb is liable to spill out if left too long!

Allow to cool on the baking trays for 5 minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack. 

This will be my last post before Christmas, so I would like to wish every one of you a very happy holiday season. However you spend it, I hope it is restful and enjoyable.

9 comments:

  1. Honeycomb is very sweet but is a childhood taste that I love and Christmas is a great time for it. Your bikkies look delicious. Hope you have a great Christmas and keep warm and healthy

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look fabulous - who doesn't love honeycomb and chocolate. Merry Xmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Honeycomb and Chocolate, oh my! Sounds wonderful Kari...Thank you so much for sharing...Merry Christmas!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love honeycomb! But I've never made it in a biscuit. I've added it to ice cream though! I hope you and Mr Bite had a very Merry Christmas xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I need to try it in ice cream!

      Thanks Charlie - the same to you.

      Delete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).