Monday, December 7, 2015

A review of Plant-Based Breakfasts for Kids (Kyra Howearth)

Some of you may be familiar with Kyra Howearth's blog, Vie de la Vegan. If you're not, Kyra is a plant-based (vegan) Australian blogger who shares plenty of delicious recipes. I like that she uses straightforward ingredients and shares dishes that involve minimal fuss. As she is a mother of three, Kyra is also great at sharing child-friendly dishes.

Given my enjoyment of Kyra's online recipes, I was delighted when she asked if I'd like to review a copy of her first e-book, Plant-Based Breakfast for Kids. I don't have children, so my review is based on my adult opinion. However, I can confirm that the dishes appear child-friendly. For example, what child wouldn't want to try breakfast pizza, no bake breakfast cookies, or pancakes of any variety?


I am not usually a huge fan of e-books, on account of finding it hard to justify purchasing an e-book when there are so many great free recipes online. However, this particular e-book may have converted me. It was set out simply, with beautiful photographs accompanying each recipe, and every one of the 25 recipes appealed to me.

No bake breakfast cookies


The book is divided into three sections. Make ahead items include the cookies I tried, pictured above and below, lots of creative overnight oat combinations, muffins, and a chocolate orange granola which I'll be making as soon as I get a chance. Quick breakfasts include smoothies, porridge, breakfast parfait and the breakfast pizza I referred to above. Lazy morning meals features such offerings as chocolate buckwheat crepes and a raspberry and coconut French toast bake.

The no bake cookies that I tried worked extremely well, especially given they have just 3 ingredients and take 5 minutes to mix up and then 30 minutes to chill. You can't ask for easier than that! They held together nicely and were great for snacking as well as breakfast time. Crucially, they also tasted good - like flapjacks or oat bars in raw cookie form.


I wish Kyra all the best with her e-book ventures and if you are looking for some breakfast inspiration for yourself or for children, I highly recommend Plant-Based Breakfasts for Kids. Given it costs about the same as a take away coffee (AUD $4.99 / USD $3.63 / £2.41) it also seems good value.

I was given a complimentary copy of the e-book to review. All opinions are my own.

Do you have much experience with e-books?

12 comments:

  1. I do like Kyra's blog - glad to hear that the ebook is just as good. I think make-ahead breakfasts are some of my favourite kinds! I don't think you need kids to know instinctively that breakfast pizza or french toast bakes are always going to be a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh all good information to know. I don't think you need to be a child to enjoy certain meals (although, perhaps it justifies them sometimes?) :)

    I love the idea of no bake cookies too, but I'm not sure how long they'd last in our household (not a bad thing if it stops other snacking though!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kyra has a great blog with lots of fun recipes. I am sad to say though that my breakfast options have narrowed since Sylvia arrived in our life - every time I want to try a new pancake recipe she is resistant! Crazy kid!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crazy indeed! Maybe she'll grow into pancakes.

      Delete
    2. she just likes the same old recipe - I have managed to expand it to two recipes but that was tough even introducing a second

      Delete
  4. Thank you so much for the review, Kari! Your no-bake cookies turned out perfectly, and I'm so glad you enjoyed them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again for the chance to try them and the book!

      Delete
  5. I think breakfast is where I struggle most to eat vegan meals. Beyond fruit and smoothies, I usually lack ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review! I just purchased the book and the pictures are gorgeous aren't they? I haven't tried any recipes, yet, but I'll try the no bake cookies first =)

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).