Friday, December 11, 2015

Scottish Highlands

After our time in Glasgow, we drove north-west to spend 3 days in the Scottish Highlands. I was particularly excited about this part of the trip, as I'd heard so many good things about the scenery in north-west Scotland and was looking forward to soaking it up. (Incidentally, given recent Scottish storms, floods and snow, we really were very lucky with our sunshine and minimal rain.)

Loch en Eilein, Cairngorm National Park, Highlands

The highlands cover a large area - basically the north-west half of Scotland - and we stayed in Port Augustus on the lower edge of Loch Ness. We chose it as a central location and because of good self-catering options. Where we stayed, a one-bed self-catering apartment in an old convent, was perfect and I don't hesitate to recommend it. Whilst technically an apartment, it felt more like a cottage due to the generously sized rooms. The rooms were also beautifully furnished and there were lots of thoughtful touches like a completely equipped kitchen (I could have baked a cake if so inclined), books and DVDs, and lots of maps and local guidebooks.

The Old Convent self-catering cottage


The convent woods also had a rope swing that proved to be one of my highlights of the area (possibly even of the trip!)!


When we weren't enjoying our accommodation, we explored to both the east and west of Fort Augustus. To the east is the Cairngorm National Park, a huge and wild expanse that we visited one pocket of. Around Aviemore are beautiful walk trails including a lakeside walk at Loch en Eilein that was showcased beautifully by glistening blue skies (pictured below and top).

Loch en Eilein

To the west is the Isle of Skye, which, these days, you can drive to over a high bridge that connects the island to the mainland. Much of the driving in the highlands is stunning but the road to Skye was particularly so. There were sections winding between mountains, and then sections by water including a scenic pass by the Eilean Donan Castle. We didn't go in, but the views from the road were enough.

Eilean Donan Castle

On Skye itself, we did a clifftop walk with paths virtually to ourselves, and visited a clifftop ruined castle that was surprisingly busy. The surprising aspect stemmed from it having no signage from the road, and as you approached the castle, lots of signage suggesting you stay out as the castle was unstable. It didn't seem to put anyone off.

The precarious ruined castle

As we had a huge kitchen to cook in, our evening meals in the area were fully self-catered. We had pasta, and veggie sausages, and jacket potatoes. On our daytrip to the national park we also packed lunch food, but on Skye we stopped at Cafe Arriba in Portree. They cater to vegetarian and vegan diets and I had their veggie haggis flatbread. Alas, it was a bit too rich and I found the lack of accompanying salad or vegetables unusual, but it was nice to have a Scottish vegan option.

Self-catering meals

We could easily have spent longer in the highlands region. We also never made it to the far north - the north-west tip of the country - and that alone gives good reason to return. I am glad of the excuse to go back!

Veggie haggis flat bread - not my favourite meal

Have you visited this part of Scotland?

15 comments:

  1. Wow what beautiful scenery esp your walks along the lochs. And the convent accommodation looks wonderful. Hope you at least got some sauce on your haggis (living with a scot who is lost without sauce on anything). The Highlands are gorgeous - we have only been as far as skye also and I always hoped to go further. Did you hear lots of stories about the toll on the bridge to skye? It is one of the stories the locals seem to love telling and I remember them being very amusing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't hear any stories! We were glad the toll had been abolished though, and thankful the bridge made visiting so easy.

      Sauce would have greatly improved my haggis. I should have asked for some!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for a lovely post - I really enjoyed it! My Great-Grandfather was Scottish, but I've never been to Scotland. Your pictures are beautiful : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks beautiful. It sounds you were very lucky with the weather. What astounds me about the UK is how frequently the 'laundry' is under the kitchen sink! I don't think we Aussies realise how well off we are to have a separate room for all our washing. I do hope to visit this part of the world one day; the lochs look very scenic xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Australian laundries have faded into a memory that is hard to believe. A few houses here have separate laundry spaces but they are pretty rare. Of course, drying clothes here is harder too due to the weather, so you either have the dryer rattling in your kitchen or clothing draped around the house!

      Delete
  4. When I visited Scotland, I tried a lot of new foods/combinations including hard boiled egg on top of a baked potato. It's fun to see the different kinds of foods people eat around the world!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks absolutely gorgeous there. I would love to go some day.
    Your cottage looks delightful =) So beautiful. And it's always nice to be able to make some of your own meals while vacationing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so too :-) I hope you make it over one day!

      Delete
  6. Wow, what beautiful scenery. I really, really want to plan a trip to Scotland in the new year. Perhaps in the summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely worth visiting! We found autumn a really good time in terms of no summer midges or crowds, but I am sure it's beautiful year round.

      Delete
  7. The scenery looks amazing! I can't believe it's that nice looking even in the middle of December - you said you lucked out by avoiding storms, but I would've just assumed Scotland would be snowy by now. The castles alone are reason to go visit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a bit late with my recaps ;) We were there in November, but even so, were pleasantly surprised ourselves at the mild weather.

      Delete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).