Monday, December 14, 2015

Christmas scenes and vegan recipe ideas

Houses of Parliament, London, with the London Eye behind

I've been meandering along with a vague sense that Christmas is on the horizon, and all of a sudden that horizon is almost here. Ten days to go! I am not sure I'm ready!

In the spirit of all things festive, I thought I'd share some Christmas scenes and vegan Christmas recipe ideas. I haven't decided what to make for our Christmas meal yet (!) but the recipes below all sound appealing. I'm also sharing an easy recipe for baked pears in red wine and cinnamon, which may not suit Christmas day, but is perfect if you need a festive but low-key dessert. Paired with yoghurt or ice cream the pears are simple, sophisticated and entirely delicious.

Trafalgar Square, London

Vegan Christmas recipes ideas

Veggie pigs in sun dried tomato blankets - A fun twist on traditional pigs in blankets (sausages in bacon)

Marmite roast potatoes - Vegemite would work too, I'm sure!

Winter slaw with maple candied nuts - An attractive and festive salad

Tofu turkey - A bit of work, but intriguing

Chocolate mince pies - Johanna takes the classic recipe and adds cocoa to the pastry and chocolate chips to the fruit mince

Super easy spicy raw chocolate bonbons - Delicious sounding chocolate truffles

Christmas festivities in East Sussex

Baked pears in red wine and cinnamon

This is an easy recipe that takes pears from boring to exciting - perfect served with yoghurt or ice cream

Serves 2, increase quantities as needed
Vegan

Author: Bite-sized thoughts


Ingredients
4 small pears
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla
1 tbsp maple syrup

Method
Preheat your oven to 150'C (300'F).

Cut each pear into four slices. Combine the other ingredients (red wine vinegar, cinnamon, vanilla, maple syrup) in the bottom of a small ovenproof dish, then add the pears and shake slightly to coat.

Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until most of the liquid has been absorbed and the pears are tender but still hold their shape.

Baked pears, with yoghurt

Now,  if you will excuse me, I have some Christmas planning to do - mains, sides, desserts and snacks...

Our Christmas tree

So...what do you have planned for Christmas?

8 comments:

  1. Good luck with christmas planning - highly recommend the mince pies - I made my first batch on the weekend - I'd love to try a tofu turkey like that (sounds like what a lot of vegans call a tofurkey) but probably not this year. Love seeing the London lights - we went to see Melbourne christmas last night which was fun and I will post some photos soon - so different to the UK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I loved your Melbourne photos - definitely different to London (and more sunshine involved!) but equally lovely.

      I did wonder if the tofu turkey is similar to commercial tofurkey roasts but can't see myself buying the latter and making the former, even if I could manage one of the two.

      Delete
  2. Marmite roast potatoes? I am a HUGE marmite fan (I definitely fall in to the "love it" camp) and I have never thought to do this. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh forget festive dessert, I could gobble down a serving of your pears right now. Mmm pears. I have yet to finalise Christmas meals yet either... and I'm reminded by the toddler daily that the day is approaching at an ever increasing rate! Good luck with the food planning (that's the best part!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa! Good luck with your planning too :-)

      Delete
  4. Great round up! Your pears sound delicious. Your tree is so cute =)
    Loving the pictures of London. Looks like things are decked out nicely there!
    Hope you are feeling more ready because it's just a week away now!!! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kimmy - Christmas is definitely coming whether I'm ready or not! Fortunately I'm a little more in the mindset now :-)

      Delete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).