Thursday, March 19, 2015

5 minute banana peanut butter cake in a mug {London marathon fundraising}

When I compiled a list of popular posts from the last year, my healthier sticky date pudding in a mug recipe was second on the list. That reminded me of the concept of cakes-in-mugs and made me think I needed another one on this site! This banana peanut butter version is it. It probably doesn't even take 5 minutes to make, and it is delicious enough for dessert but healthy (and quick) enough for breakfast. Win, win, win.


I'm pleased to say that this has been a better week, health wise, than the last one. I downscaled last weekend's run from 22 miles to 12, but am feeling 99% fit again now and ready to tackle 20 miles on Saturday (in Dublin no less!). I have also revamped my plan to get the 22 miles in over the Easter long weekend. That will be the longest distance I run, and it's probably better doing it a little bit closer to marathon day anyway. I'm glad my training plan is stretched out enough to allow for reshuffling of schedules, and to include several attempts at 20 mile plus distances.



You don't have to be running long distances to enjoy this cake. It is a really delicious single-serve treat that tastes more decadent than it is! The banana is gooey and caramel-like, the peanut butter rich and creamy, and the sweetness level is just right - sweet enough without being too sweet.

I recommend it, and I hope you enjoy it.



Banana peanut butter cake in a mug
A delicious, super simple treat 
Vegan
Serves one

Author: Bite-Sized Thoughts


Ingredients
1/2 large banana, roughly mashed
3 tbsp non-dairy milk of choice (I used unsweetened almond)
1 tbsp peanut butter (or other nut butter)
1 tbsp golden syrup (or other liquid sweetener)
3 tbsp wholemeal spelt flour (or plain flour)
1/4 tsp baking powder

Method
In a small mixing bowl, combine the mashed banana, milk, peanut butter and golden syrup. Add the flour and baking powder and mix through. 

Pour the mixture into a medium or large mug (at least 300ml, and bigger is safer). Heat on high power in the microwave for 2 minutes.

Eat from the mug or transfer to a bowl.


                                                                                                                               
This post is part of my fundraising efforts for the 2015 London Marathon. I am running for Beat, the UK eating disorder charity. If you liked this recipe and are in a position to make a donation, I'd be grateful for any contribution you could spare! You can make a donations of any size on my fundraising page.

Check out my introductory post and my fundraising page for more information. 

Days until the marathon: 37                    Training miles logged in 2015: 294.45
                                                                                                                               

Are you a fan of mug cakes?

We're off to Ireland tonight, so my blog reading and posting will be intermittent over the next week. I look forward to sharing our Ireland experiences in time though!

25 comments:

  1. I am pretty obsessed with mug cakes. Yours looks so good :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tend to forget about them, but I suspect if I could only remember I would be obsessed too!

      Delete
  2. this sounds delicious - I love mug cakes though with my last one I made a perfect cake the next time and then struggled to get it so good when I tried it again which I put down to the strangeness of microwaves baking. I have had better luck with others and I love your minimal sweetness here. Glad to hear you are feeling better - good luck with your run in Dublin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to confess I'm not very experienced with microwave baking, so have been fortunate to have things work when I've made mug cakes. I can believe you that there are inconsistencies though - and no doubt even more so between microwaves! I shall have to experiment more so I can learn more...

      Delete
  3. Need to try this, thanks for sharing :) And yay for you for that London Marathon :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will be trying this the next time I have a late night sugar craving! Speaking from experience, taking a week off when you need it is much more beneficial than trying to push through when you aren't feeling well. In fact your training has been a lot more diligent than mine usually is - surely you'll be more than prepared for the race when the time comes! Glad you're feeling better :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Shannon :-) Your advice is appreciated given how much running you've done!

      Delete
  5. I love mug cakes! It means I can satisfy my cake craving without having loads of leftover cake.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do love golden syrup in cakes. Making a cake in a mug is such a good idea if you only need to feed one or two and not be faced with an enormous amount of leftover cake. How's Ireland? Well done with all your running training. I'm sure it's not long until the marathon xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Charlie - marathon day is definitely drawing steadily closer!

      Ireland is great so far. Very (and unexpectedly) sunny!

      Delete
  7. mug cakes are the bomb, gotta love all the different varieties you can make! yum

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy to see posts about health and recipes that consider healthy options. Thank you!!

    Julie & Alesah
    Gourmet Getaways xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the look of this Kari, how can you go wrong with that combo?! I've been making a few mug cakes recently because Sylvia has developed a liking for them! Look forward to trying this one :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sylvia has good tastes :-) I hope she, and you, enjoy this if you try it!

      Delete
  10. Don't stress too much!! I have only ever run up to 20 miles in marathon training...you don't want to risk injury or tire yourself out too much before the actual race!! Every time you run for over 3 hours, you put yourself at risk for more injury so jut listen to your body!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joanne! I am always so grateful to hear from experienced marathoners as I'm so aware of being a novice going into this :P

      Delete
  11. I'm so impressed with your training. Running even a mile seems a stretch for me! I am equally impressed with the cake, needless to say. Anything with peanut butter in gets my vote!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cake helps with the training ;) And I'm with you on peanut butter!

      Delete
  12. Kari, good to hear that you feel fit again. This mug cake sounds very decadent and devine.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so happy to hear you had a much better week... hopefully you're up to the full 100% by now :D
    I haven't got a microwave at the moment but, when I get round to buying one, I'll definitely have to give your mug cakes a try. They sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm impressed with your no microwave lifestyle! We did without one for 3 months after we moved to London, and it was surprisingly ok, but it's easy to slip back to relying on it for reheating now it's there :P

      Delete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).