Sunday, March 8, 2015

Fluffy pear and besan flour pancakes with a caramel pear sauce

I have had the concept of a sweet pear and besan flour dish in mind for some time now. I'm not sure where the idea came from, but it is an idea that got stuck! I thought about making a cake or slice, but in the end these pancakes won out. It helped that I could eat them for breakfast. I'm not averse to the idea of cake for breakfast, but it is a bit harder to justify.


These feature spelt flour as well as besan, in equal parts. I added baking powder for a fluffy, thick texture, and cinnamon and vanilla just because. Apple cider vinegar helps with the fluffiness too.

There is pear within the pancakes, but I served these with a caramel pear sauce as well. It is easy to make, although a food processor or blender is required. Simply blitz dates and fresh pear until smooth, and - voila! With that said, if you aren't in the mood for blitzing ingredients first thing in the morning, maple syrup could provide an alternative.


I highly recommend serving these with berries, but if you can't get hold of any, stewed fruit would work as well.

Fluffy pear and besan flour pancakes with a caramel pear sauce
A sweet spin on besan flour, perfect for a lazy weekend breakfast
Vegan, low fat and wheat free (although note that spelt does contain gluten)
Makes 6 thick pancakes

Small blender or food processor required for the sauce

Author: Bite-sized thoughts


Ingredients
For the pancakes
50g (1/3 metric cup) besan flour (chickpea flour)
50g (1/3 metric cup) spelt flour
3/4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
165ml (2/3 metric cup) unsweetened almond milk, or milk of choice
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon
1 pear, chopped into small pieces

Oil spray, for cooking

For the sauce
4 dates (mine were regular dried dates, not medjool)
1 pear, roughly chopped

Berries or stewed fruit, to serve

Method
Combine the flours and baking powder in a mixing bowl and stir to combine. Add the vinegar, milk, vanilla and cinnamon and whisk well. Add the pear pieces and stir through. Allow to stand while your pan heats.

Heat a non-stick pan over medium-high heat and spray with oil. When hot, use a ladle or 1/4 cup to scoop batter into the pan. Tilt the pan to distribute evenly, but don't distribute too thinly - think hotcakes rather than crepes. Cook for 2-3 minutes before flipping and repeating for the other side. The pancakes should be golden when cooked. Repeat for the remaining batter.

While the pancakes are cooking, blitz the dates and pear in a small blender or food processor (I used a Nutribullet), until smooth.

To serve, layer the pancakes with a dessertspoon of the caramel pear sauce between each layer. Use a spoon to drizzle more sauce over the pancake stack. Serve with berries or other fruit. 


 What is your favourite way to use besan (chickpea) flour?

20 comments:

  1. These are such a great idea Kari especially the date sauce. perfect breakfast food or maybe even lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look really delicious and very decadent in appearance for something which is really quite healthy. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this idea- so creative and looks delicious! I love besan flour in most things, esp scrambled "egg" and French toast :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is such a versatile flour - I'm actually yet to try it with French toast, which I should get on to!

      Delete
  4. they look beautiful with all the berries - am intrigued by your pear caramel sauce - I love using besan - made ricki's bean stew on besan flatbreads the other day and thought how I should make it more often - such a great dish (and of course love chickpea scramble) - we had pancakes this morning - I was quite pleased with making a berry and plum sauce by cooking the fruit up with a splash of maple syrup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to re-make some of Ricki's recipes too; thanks for the reminder! Your berry and plum sauce sounds delicious and would be a lovely alternative for this stack!

      Delete
  5. How lovely! I am always after besan flour recipes because I have lots of it to use up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does tend to come in big bags, doesn't it?!

      Delete
  6. I love using chickpea flour in pancakes and baked goods! It has a very distinct flavor, but one that i really enjoy. These pancakes look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to try out the cake format too in that case - I am yet to properly bake with it in anything sweet!

      Delete
  7. I usually only use chickpea flour in savoury recipes ... I'm looking forward to trying this :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness, fluffly pancakes with caramel pear sauce? Sounds SOOOOO amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These pancakes are just beautiful! I love your presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The colour from the berries just makes everything look so pretty. I love the sauce idea - very clever to make it out of fruit rather than a truckload of sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  11. These look so delicious! I usually stick to savoury chickpea pancakes so I'd love to try a sweet version!

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).