Thursday, March 5, 2015

Sweet chilli tortillas with falafel balls, aubergine, pepper and tahini {London marathon fundraising}

I really loved this meal. The tortillas are great in their own right, but when served with falafel, vegetables and tahini they are really great! Mr Bite had his version with mayonnaise instead of tahini, and he gave his meal a tick of approval too.


I used to be scared of making tortillas, but they really are quite easy. Mine are always misshapen and messy, but I like to pretend that adds character. The ingredient list is half the length of commercial brands, and you can tweak flavourings to suit - like adding sweet chilli sauce in this case.

If you serve the tortillas straight from the plan, they are warm and delicious but still quite fragile. However, they do firm up on standing, and I find that they keep find for a day in the fridge if well sealed or wrapped.



As an additional bonus, I estimate that this batch of tortillas (equivalent to one commercial pack) costs around 4 times less than those that come in a packet. Given they take under half an hour to prepare, it's a good swap.

I'm listing my filling ingredients below, but these tortillas could be paired with anything you like. Tofu and stir fried vegetables would be delicious, as would an Asian cabbage salad mix. They're delicious plain, too...

Sweet chilli tortillas with falafel balls, aubergine, pepper and tahini
A delicious meal for 4
Vegan

Author: Bite-sized thoughts


Ingredients
For the tortillas
1 cup plain flour
1 cup water
2 tbsp non-dairy milk
3 - 4 tbsp sweet chilli sauce (depending on how strong you want the flavour to be; 3 tbsp will be mild)
1 tsp vegetable oil

For the fillings
Falafel balls, to serve 4 (store bought or homemade)
1 aubergine, chopped
1 red pepper, sliced
1 red onion, sliced
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
2 cups spinach leaves
Tahini, to serve

Method
To make the tortillas, combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl and whisk well to combine. Allow to stand for 15 minutes.

When ready, heat a non-stick pan over high heat and ladle a scoop of tortilla mixture into the pan (I used a soup ladle). Tilt the pan to distribute evenly, but don't spread the mixture too thinly - keep it at least 1cm thick. Cook for approximately 2 minutes, until bubbles appear on the surface, then flip and cook for a further 1-2 minutes.

Repeat for the remaining batch. Keep tortillas warm in the oven if needed.

For the filling, cook the falafel according to packet or recipe instructions. While the tortillas are cooking, combine the aubergine, pepper, onion and red wine vinegar in a non-stick pan and saute over low-medium heat until soft and fragrant. Add to the tortillas when ready, along with spinach leaves and a drizzle of tahini.

                                                                                                                               
This post is part of my fundraising efforts for the 2015 London Marathon. I am running for Beat, the UK eating disorder charity. If you liked this recipe and are in a position to make a donation, I'd be grateful for any contribution you could spare! You can make a donations of any size on my fundraising page.

Check out my introductory post and my fundraising page for more information. 

Days until the marathon: 51                    Training miles logged in 2015: 247
                                                                                                                               

Do you make your own tortillas / wrap bread? What do you like to put in yours?

15 comments:

  1. Jinx - I plan to make tortillas tonight because I have avocado I want to use - I find them quite simple to make but was wondering about making them ahead of time - having read this I think I might try and do it to make dinner quicker. I am intrigued at the sweet chilli sauce idea - how strong is the sweet chilli flavour? Am now wondering about other flavours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good minds think alike :-) I found the sweet chilli surprisingly subtle - it added sweetness more than spice, although I did just use 3 tbsp. Our falafel balls were also themselves a bit spicy, so it's possible they outweighed the flavours, but I tried one tortilla cold and plain and it was still mild. Enjoyable, but probably ok for Sylvia's tastes!

      Delete
  2. I haven't had falafels in such a long time - thanks for the reminder. I love the sound of these tortillas too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy bringing falafel back :-)

      Delete
  3. I love making my own tortillas! As you say, far fewer and better ingredients than storebought tortillas. I would probably put both mayonnaise and tahini on mine--I like both, no "either/or" for me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I havent had tortillas in forever - these look so good!

    theglowwithin.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tortillas are the best Kari! I think my family are having a quiet love affair with them at the moment. Good luck with your fundraising efforts too lovely. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your family knows their stuff :-) Thanks very much xo

      Delete
  6. I have never made my own tortillas so I'm very impressed with your efforts and how through practise, you are now at ease with making them. Your dinner looks very colourful and I'm sure it's packed with flavour and crunch xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Charlie. I like how you tactfully noted I am at ease with making them, even though that ease doesn't quite translate to neat tortillas ;)

      Delete
  7. I have never made my own tortillas, so this is a great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you should give it a go - with all the complicated recipes you make, you'll probably find tortillas easy!

      Delete
  8. Julie just made her own tortillas a few weeks ago and she was happy, too! Great idea with the addition of falafel, this will be a filling, flavourful snack!!

    Julie & Alesah
    Gourmet Getaways xx

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).