Sunday, April 10, 2011

Today I am grateful for...

I noted in my last post that not being able to do the things you take for granted, or enjoy the things you usually enjoy, can bring into perspective just how great those things are. Given this, I thought I would take time to reflect on the small scale things I enjoy, but which I don't always stop to appreciate fully.

Today I am grateful for (in no particular order):


People.

Once upon a time, I considered myself wholeheartedly independent, and capable of going days at a time without serious conversation or interaction. Today, I have people who I take great pleasure in sharing my life with, and I'm very happy to have made that shift.


Books. 
 


I can't conceive of a life without books and reading. I love the joy of finding a good book and immersing myself in the plot and characters, and, if by myself, I would choose reading over TV any day.

Right now, I am especially grateful for having a pile of books next to my bed, all of which look good, and having recently discovered a new series that I'm excited about reading through.

The joy of discovering a new author or series really is indescribable!


Autumn. 
  
Autumn is my favourite time of year, and it seems that Australia is finally providing some season-appropriate weather. 


Maximums in the low 20's, minimums in the low teen's, sunshine that doesn't burn you in 15 minutes, and the possibility of rain...all make me happy.



Running. 

Four years ago I couldn't run for 10 minutes straight. Two years ago I ran a 12km fun run and had the time of my life. Currently, I'm not at my fittest in a running sense (I'd struggle to do 12km!) but love the fact that I can do it, and enjoy it.





Banana soft serve. 
  
Today I made a carob version. I could have eaten twice as much as I did. I ate several spoonfuls with my eyes closed.



1.5 baby frozen bananas, 1 tbsp almond milk, 1 heaped tsp carob powder

I'm also grateful that I can buy slightly dodgy looking (over-ripe) bananas from my local fruit and vegetable market, for half the cost of regular (non-ripe) bananas.

Summer cyclones and floods in banana growing areas mean that supermarket stock currently costs about $13/kg! Definitely not justifiable, especially for bananas that are going to be blended :P






Tea. 
  
I'm drinking a cup of English Breakfast as I compose this. Most things are better with tea, in my humble opinion (especially when you have Autumn-y weather!).


The nicest thing of all, perhaps, is that there are more things I could jot down. But I think I will call it a day and keep some for another time.

7 comments:

  1. Books + banana soft serve = two things that I am also in love with and grateful for :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. okay, I'm super envious of your banana softserve, i haven't had any in weeks, because of the exorbitant cost of bananas! Amen to people and reading, though - and I adore Cold Comfort Farm :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Hannah

    You need to find a local market with dodgy bananas for sale :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful post. I love thinking like this when things are a bit hard, it really makes you look at things differently.
    Love books (especially Cold Comfort Farm), and Autumn too. Gorgeous time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @cityhippyfarmgirl

    Thank you :) Sometimes we do need perspective shifts.

    It also seems like I should move Cold Comfort Farm up my reading list - I've never read it and now both you and Hannah have recommended it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Running, books and people :) These are also the things that I am grateful for! Your banana soft serve looks oh-so-good!

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).