Thursday, April 28, 2011

And back to work we go (ho hum, ho hum)

Yesterday morning I felt a bit like a small child returning to school after the summer holidays. There are many advantages to 5-day weekends, but perhaps some slight disadvantages too. Fortunately, the feeling didn't last long and there are now only two days left until next weekend. Including today!


Interestingly, I do feel like I got much more done in 5 days at home than I usually do in 5 days at work. I managed to do most of the things I wanted to do, minus cleaning the windows (although I did clean the blinds!) and re-planting my vegetable patch. I was at least able to plan what I will re-plant, so I am hoping to get to the planting in the next week or so.

One thing is certain: I produced plenty of snack options to fuel the return to work.



In addition to said snack-y items, my return to work was enhanced by rainy, cool, cloudy, lovely weather. I am going to regret that last sentence in a month or two when I am permanently cold and wasting electricity on constant heater use, but I really love the transition to autumn.


Note the real rain drops! As in water from the sky, not the garden hose!


And after just 0.4mm of rain in February and March combined, we have had over 12mm in the last 2 days. It's quite a strange experience.

I can get out scarves...



Drink even more tea...



And sleep under the weight of a quilt, instead of a sheet.

I'm also looking forward to some cooler weather recipes, and being able to use my oven without turning into a melted puddle.

All of this makes me feel very snug :)

5 comments:

  1. I don't know how much rain we have had...but it's a lot. Lots and lots of it! My plants are all looking decidedly water logged.
    Enjoy those snug moments and another weekend to come :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you get some pleasure out of the cold! I DETEST winter, mostly because my feet go blue (I wish I were kidding). At least chocolate will still exist...

    ReplyDelete
  3. @cityhippyfarmgirl
    I think you have just summarised the difference between Eastern Australia and Western Australia this Summer / Autumn! I think averaging the rain out would have been a better approach myself, but there you are :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Hannah
    In truth, you will probably hear me complain about the cold in a few months too! It's my hands rather than feet that seem to alter colour, although they don't normally reach blue (a purpley haze is about as good as I get).

    However, I detest the heat more than I dislike the cold, and I love rainy cool days when I'm rugged up or inside, so on balance winter wins!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love change of season so the coming of dark cold days in autumn delights me - though we have had such lovely sunny weather this week that I couldn't complain about the cold even if I hated it

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).