Friday, April 29, 2011

A double product review: Orgran Amaretti Biscotti and Orgran Kids Dinosaur Wholefruit Cookies (both vegan)

I have been sitting on this post for a few weeks now, which might give you a clue as to how exciting (or otherwise) I found one of these products. I really like the Orgran brand and so was disappointed not to be able to review both biscuits favourably, but ultimately only one proved to be a hit for me. 

Can you guess which it was? :)

To start: Amaretti Biscotti


In summary: As with all Orgran products, these biscuits are free of gluten, wheat, dairy, egg, yeast, soy and genetically modified ingredients. Thus, they tick the vegan box and several more. They are one of several biscotti flavour options and the biscuits are light and slightly crunchy.



The verdict: I like biscotti, I like almond-flavoured biscuits and I like Orgran products, so I really expected to like these. Sadly, I can't quite say that I did.

There was something about the taste and texture that just didn't do it for me, and I struggled to pick up much almond flavour. Although the almond in Amaretti is subtle, I am fairly sure it should be at least slightly detectable.


In contrast, I could taste coconut (the sixth ingredient, before almond flavour), and found the texture to be more like a macaroon than a biscotti or almond cookie.

Ingredients and nutrition: The biscuits are obviously above average in meeting vegan and gluten free criteria, but otherwise have a fairly typical nutritional profile for a biscuit (e.g., 21.4g fat, 2.1g fibre and 476 calories per 100g).




Overall verdict: 5 / 10.

These are definitely my least favourite Orgran product to date, although I'm still grateful the brand tries as hard as it does to provide a range of vegan / allergy friendly products.


Next up: Kids Dinosaur Wholefruit Cookies.




If you thought the adult biscuit option was going to be the winner, you were wrong :P 


In summary: These appealed to me far more than the biscotti and I liked the small size of the dinosaur shapes (although I confess I didn't think they looked like dinosaurs!). They are also free of white sugar and thus taste sweet without being too sweet. The fruit component really provides most of the flavour and sweetness.


I imagine these would go down well with their intended child audience, as in addition to the pleasant taste they are small, interestingly shaped, and would no doubt be fun to eat if you liked dinosaurs or animal shapes of any kind.

Can you see a dinosaur? They look more like bears to me!


Ingredients and nutrition: These biscuits really tick the nutrition box. They provide 10.8g fibre, 4.5g fat (1.6g saturated) and 338 calories per 100g. Although still reasonably high in sugar (37.8g / 100g), much of this is from the fruit. Indeed, at 25%, currants are the first ingredient listed.


Overall verdict: 8 / 10. I don't know if this suggests I am immature, or if the Amaretti Biscotti really do miss their target with flavour, but I can see myself buying the Dinosaur Fruit Cookies again and not the Biscotti!





Have you tried Orgran biscuits? Do you have a favourite?

2 comments:

  1. I agree, the amaretti are disappointing. Coconut should not be in amaretti! I miss the amaretti I had in Florence... :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Hannah
    I'm glad it wasn't just me! I will have to look out for Italian amaretti if or when I eventually make it to Italy...although I imagine all non-Florence versions now pale in comparison!

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).