Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Creamy vegan tomato and basil pasta

It turns out the old adage about children and pasta is true. Mini Bite is pretty good with most foods, but she loves pasta and is capable of tucking away an enormous amount of it when hungry. My go-to easy sauce for her is a mix of tomato pasta, tahini, dried oregano and nutritional yeast, but recently I have been looking for some different sauces that we can all enjoy. This creamy tomato basil pasta was one result.



I adapted my recipe from the 'super quick tomato basil cream pasta' on Vegan YumYum, but there are quite a few similar recipes out there. Most use cashews to provide the creaminess. This sauce also features tinned crushed tomatoes, fresh basil leaves and baby spinach. I added extra spinach and diced red pepper to the dish too. Nutritional yeast can be added to taste.

I didn't include salt and pepper in the sauce itself, because I was cooking with Mini Bite in mind. Mr Bite and I both agreed some salt/pepper would have boosted the flavours so I do recommend adding them either at the table or when cooking. Even so, we all enjoyed this and it is an easy family friendly meal.


Creamy vegan tomato and basil pasta
Delicious and satisfying, this meal is vegan comfort food at its best
Serves 4

Food processor or high speed blender required

Adapted from the super quick tomato basil cream pasta on Vegan YumYum


Ingredients
For the sauce
1 cup raw cashews, soaked for at least 1 hour
1 tin (375g) crushed tomatoes
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 large handful fresh basil leaves
1 cup baby spinach leaves
Salt and pepper, to taste

For the meal
Spaghetti or pasta to serve 4
1 cup baby spinach leaves
1 red pepper, roughly chopped
Nutritional yeast, optional and to taste

Method
Drain the cashews and add to your food processor or blender along with the crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, basil leaves, spinach leaves, and salt/pepper. Blitz until fully smooth.

Cook your pasta according to packet instructions. While cooking, heat a non-stick pan over medium heat and add the tomato basil sauce, extra spinach leaves, and pepper. Heat until warmed through and the vegetables have softened. 

Pour the sauce over the pasta and serve with nutritional yeast if desired.

Do you have a favourite pasta sauce?

11 comments:

  1. It really is creamy, I tend to make vegan puttanesca without the anchovies replaced with capers and arrabiata a lot, but this would be most welcome on my table any evening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the sound of capers and arrabiata in a sauce - thanks for the idea.

      Delete
  2. I think Mini Bite is a great judge of food. I don't eat a lot of pasta, but when I do, I crave creamy tomato sauces.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds much nicer than the pasta I had tonight - Sylvia loves pasta but still fussy about which sauce she will eat - maybe I could try this anyway as I rarely try creamy and tomato together but would like to try it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'd enjoy it - let me know if you do give it a go!

      Delete
  4. Cashews make such a delicious sauce don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks so good I'm not surprised Mini Bite love it! I think I'd have a bowl or two as well. :)

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).