Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Carrot coconut and strawberry breakfast biscuits

These biscuits were not what I intended to make on Sunday afternoon. I had planned to make carrot and strawberry pikelets (pancakes), but in the end, I didn't feel motivated to stand at the stovetop flipping pikelet batter. When thinking about something easy and quick to make instead, I pulled out my food processor to make no bake carrot and strawberry oat balls. However, the mixture didn't seem right unbaked and so I turned the oven on and created these instead.


Given their origins, it is perhaps unsurprising that these biscuits are average rather than excellent. They are not very sweet and I can't clearly detect the strawberry. However, as a breakfast or low sugar snack (especially with a cup of tea) they are enjoyable, and the ingredient list is pleasingly free of refined ingredients. They seem worth documenting and sharing for these reasons

To make these more like a traditional biscuit / cookie, do feel free to add some sugar or even to use these as the exterior to a (vegan) buttercream cookie sandwich.


Carrot coconut and strawberry breakfast biscuits
Minimally sweet biscuits suited to breakfast or a low-sugar snack
Makes 30 or so small biscuits
Vegan and refined sugar free

Food processor required

Author: Bite-sized thoughts


Ingredients
1 cup grated carrot
1-1/2 cups hulled strawberries
1-1/3 cup whole rolled oats
1/3 cup desiccated coconut
1/3 cup coconut flour
1/3 cup plain flour
2 tbsp cashew butter

Method
Preheat your oven to 160'C (320'F) and line two baking trays with non-stick paper.

Combine the grated carrot, strawberries and oats in your food processor and process until fully combined. Add the remaining ingredients and process until incorporated and the mixture clumps together.

Roll dessertspoons of mixture into balls and place on your prepared baking trays. Press the tops down slightly with the back of a fork.

Bake for 8 or so minutes, until golden and firm to the touch but still soft within.

Have you made anything unexpected recently?!

12 comments:

  1. I really enjoy adding carrot or fruit to bakes - it always gives things a bit of extra moisture and makes me thing it's that little bit better for you. I'm so impressed with all your healthy recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I made these I would probably then find they crumbled and made muesli (that is what has happened to a few of my strawberry baking experiments so kudos for stopping at biscuits :-) They would be very welcome at my breakfast table!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha - yes, I think I went through enough steps and muesli would have been one too far!

      Delete
  3. I've had a few recipes lately that haven't worked out the way I planned them but manged to make something edible(cookies into protein balls) too. I'd love one of these biscuits with a cup of tea in the morning. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Protein balls are always a good outcome :-)

      Delete
  4. These sound interesting, even though you thought they were average.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow interesting! !!first i was read this article i was amaze,hope many readers you may help.. Goodluck!!

    Learn more PureCloud Cloud Contact Center

    ReplyDelete
  6. I should try this recipe it's very healthy for the kids
    BlackCloud South Bend Clutch

    ReplyDelete
  7. very informative post for me as I am always looking for new content that can help me and my knowledge grow better.

    I found this Cloud Contact Center Integrators

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing information. Wonderful blog & good post.Its really helpful for me, waiting for a more new post. Keep Blogging!

    wait till you see Camelot

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).