Sunday, October 29, 2017

Apple and mango flapjacks

Every now and then I buy dried mango, and then don't quite know what to do with it. I could (and sometimes do) just eat it plain, but these flapjacks proved a delicious way to use it in a slightly different form. Blending oats, apple, dried mango, cashew butter, soya milk and vanilla, this is a simple recipe that creates a delicious whole food snack or breakfast.


If you want a flapjack that is closer to store bought varieties, you may want to add some non-dairy spread / margarine and maple syrup to these too. However, I found them sweet enough and I love the straightforward ingredient list.

In unrelated news, daylight savings ended in the UK last night, which means it is lighter in the mornings (a welcome bonus given I start my days early) but darker in the evenings. It won't be long before we travel to and from work in darkness. Winter is coming!


Apple and mango flapjacks
A naturally sweetened snack or a breakfast on the go
Makes a large batch, approximately 24 small flapjacks
Vegan

Author: Bite-sized thoughts

Print recipe

Ingredients
2 cups rolled oats
1 cup soya milk
1/3 cup cashew butter
1 tsp vanilla
1 large apple, diced
100g dried mango, roughly chopped

Method
Preheat your oven to 160'C (325'F) and line a square baking dish with non-stick paper.

Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl and stir thoroughly to combine.

Transfer to your prepared tray and bake for 15 minutes or until golden and firm to the touch.

Allow to cool before slicing into squares.


Do you have favourite mango recipes?

12 comments:

  1. These flapjacks look good. I am the same with dried mango, only ever really use it in flapjacks.

    And yes, your right we will soon be going to and fro work in the dark - winter is certainly coming. i have a day off work today, so am going to go through my wardrobes. Sunshine stuff in the back and winter stuff to the front.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a great use of a day off. I hope you feel nicely organised now.

      Delete
  2. I much prefer fresh fruit to dried, but I'm with you all the way on the simple ingredients list. Anything that involves minimal effort for maximum lovely flapjacks is all good with me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean about fresh fruit - it can't be beaten really, but mango is one of those ones I struggle to get fresh on a regular basis!

      Delete
  3. These look like a nice healthy snack - I haven't been buying much dried fruit lately and occasionally miss it when I want to make this sort of thing. And we are finally getting some light evenings which is really nice - at least when it rains on the way home I can see the rainbow afterwards :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If that isn't an example of positive thinking, I don't know what is! I'm glad you're enjoying the light :-)

      Delete
  4. I still need to try these UK version of flapjacks. I keep picturing pancakes. :) These look so tasty!

    We have one more week of daylight savings. Things have gotten much cooler here this week - winter really is coming!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummo - these sound delicious. I did hate the darkness in winter when I lived in the UK and the light well into the night in summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will confess that the novelty of 'proper' winters has worn off a bit, but I do still appreciate the distinct seasons. I will be ready for spring when it comes though (and it's not even winter yet!).

      Delete
  6. Well these look delightful! YUMMERS! Hope you don't mind if I link you and visit often!
    http://MyBlissfulJourney.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Jennifer! It's great to have you stop by.

      Delete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).