Sunday, January 10, 2016

Grilled hummus and lentils on toast

I've recently been enjoying variations of my grilled hummus on toast. Whilst the original (just hummus and tomato) is still delicious, I can also recommend adding rocket and mushrooms. And, of course, I highly recommend this variation with lentils.


I know not everyone is a fan of bread, but with so many varieties available (whole wheat, seeded, gluten free, sourdough...) I think there is a type for all of us. I have mentioned before that I don't make a lot of sandwiches, but sometimes bread-based lunches appeal more than my usual grain-based salads. If you join me in trying this open sandwich, I think you'll understand why!


You don't really need a recipe for this, but I list my ingredient quantities below. Basically you add hummus to bread, lentils to the hummus, and tomatoes to top it all off. If you buy hummus and cooked lentils you can have this on the table in under 15 minutes; if you make your own, advance preparation will still leave you with plenty of time at lunch.


Grilled hummus and lentils on toast
A twist on beans on toast and my grilled hummus on toast - healthy comfort food at its lunchtime best!
Vegan
Serves one, adapt quantities as needed

Author: Bite-sized thoughts


Ingredients
2 pieces of bread of choice
Approximately 2 tbsp hummus
Approximately 4 tbsp cooked lentils
6 or so cherry tomatoes, cut in half

Method
Toast your bread lightly and then spread each piece with approximately 1 tbsp hummus. Top each piece with approximately 2 tbsp lentils and then the cherry tomatoes.

Place under a medium grill for about 10 minutes, monitoring regularly to avoid over-cooking.

What are you enjoying for lunch at the moment?

14 comments:

  1. Looks like a great lunch - and I am going through a phase of sylvia rejecting punnets of cherry tomatoes so I often have some to play with - I think I fancy this on a rice cake - I sometimes have them at lunchtime instead of bread - though I would not grill it (or maybe I could - have never grilled anything on rice cakes but maybe it would work)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you try it, let me know how it turns out! I can't picture a grilled rice cake, but you never know what will work :-)

      Delete
  2. Yum. I am going through a phase of making savoury lentils. I think I might try that with some hummus on sourdough toast. Not really summer food but I'm going to enjoy it regardless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least you'll have summer fresh tomatoes!

      Delete
  3. I am a BIG fan of bread, so this is perfect for me. What a good idea to add some lentils to it for some extra protein.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm about to make myself some hummus and tomato toast for breakfast! Perhaps I should add the lentils. What a coincidence to find this recipe as I'm about to make my breakfast which is so very similar! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How funny! You obviously start your days well :-)

      Delete
  5. I Love bread kari. It doesn't always love me back but thats just how it is. There is nothing better than bread and hummus and it's a great idea to add lentils.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohhh it's been way too long since I've had hummus on toast! I love the addition of lentils and tomatoes to this as well, that sounds so delicious and satisfying! For lunch I usually have leftovers from the previous night's dinner, but sometimes I make pancakes or roast potatoes or sandwiches...lunch is a weird meal in our house, you never know what to expect, haha :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think your varied lunches sound great :-) And leftovers are a big theme for me too!

      Delete
  7. "I know not everyone is a fan of bread" ha! I'm a huge fan! I love bread =) I'm gluten-free, so my options are slightly more limited, but there are still great options.
    This sounds great. I have actually never tried having hummus on toast. I love the idea of lentils for added protein and tomatoes for some juicy deliciousness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a big fan too :D I'm glad this appeals!

      Delete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).