Sunday, January 31, 2016

Mexican couscous bowl

I'm not sure how a week has passed since I last sat down and opened Blogger. 2016 is certainly proving to be another year where time flies by. It's also hard to believe we're at the end of January!

I was pleased this week to find the time to make vegan lamingtons, in honour of Australia Day last Tuesday. I took a large plate of them to work and they disappeared in a startling fashion. I think I've converted more than a few Londoners to the delights of lamingtons.


With busy days and often long ones too, I've been glad of more easy meals (let's face it, I'm always glad of easy meals). You can make this couscous bowl in hardly any time and it will fuel you through whatever the day throws at you. Unlike most of my bowls, the bulk of the vegetables come separately - mix up a green salad to pair on the side - but you'll still be taking in a mix of vegetables, protein and carbohydrate with every mouthful.



If you do want all your vegetables mixed into one bowl, Danni's burrito bowl on Hungry Health Happy shares a similar concept but with cauliflower rice instead of couscous, and some different seasoning components.


Mexican couscous bowl
An easy, vegan lunch
Serves 4 with side salad

Author: Bite-sized thoughts


Ingredients
1 cup uncooked couscous
2 cups water
1 cup mixed beans, black beans or red kidney beans
1 cup sweet corn kernels
20 or so cherry tomatoes, halved
Approximately 1/2 cup tomato salsa

Green salad, to serve

Method
Combined the couscous and water in a large saucepan and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to very low and allow to simmer, covered, for 5 minutes. Add in the beans and corn and allow to stand on very low heat for a further 5 minutes.

Stir through the cherry tomatoes and serve topped with a dollop of tomato salsa.


What has your week been like?

9 comments:

  1. Kari, this is my kind of easy meals. I love the flavours - I could eat this for a working lunch too - no problem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds delish - I would eat this. Yay for flying the Aussie lamington flag in London!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kari...
    Just tonight I was rumbling through the freezer when I happened upon a bag of frozen couscous. I've never frozen it before so I have no idea what to do with it, lol...

    I may just defrost it and toss it with some vegetables and a dollop of salsa!

    Thanks for sharing, Kari...I'll let you know how it goes:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We both have Mexican food on the brain today. A really nice way to jazz up some cous cous

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't had couscous in years, but I should buy some because it does cook quite fast and make an easy lunch! I'll remember this Mexican couscous bowl so I can make it for lunch next week after I go grocery shopping :) have a great week Kari!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know, right?!! How is it Feb already? Gosh, I love love cooking with couscous!! So easy and quick to whip up, and of course, I LOVE me some Mexican flavors ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This couscous dish looks very good. I do love cherry tomatoes with couscous. I would have loved to have seen a photo of your lamingtons and it's great you've converted a few Londoners to an Aussie favourite xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mexican and cous cous, what a genius combination. Well done on the lamington conversions too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. sounds really good - and I know what you mean by 2016 rushing by already - and well done on finding time to make lamingtons and showing off some of the best of Aussie baking in britain

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).