Sunday, January 24, 2016

M&S-style nutty super wholefood salad

I mentioned in my last post that my favourite Marks and Spencer salad is their nutty super wholefood salad. Featuring green beans, peas, broccoli, carrots, black-eyed beans and quinoa plus peanuts, almonds and pistachios, it is absolutely packed with delicious ingredients. A dollop of hummous and a soy and ginger dressing finish the everything off.

Whilst I have no qualms about buying prepared salads on occasion, it's obviously nice to make them at home when possible. It saves money, for one, but it also allows you to customise ingredients and portions - and make up a batch to cover lunches for several days if you're so inclined. With salads like this one, it's also a good way to use up leftover grains or vegetables.


There are a few takes on this M&S salad online already, some following it extremely closely and others using it as a springboard for inspiration. My version is somewhere in between. Like the M&S original, my salad featured green beans, peas, broccoli, quinoa, almonds, hummous and a soy and ginger dressing. I omitted the carrots, black-eyed beans, peanuts and pistachios, but added butter beans, pecans and brown basmati rice (a half-half mix with the quinoa because I had some already cooked). In truth, small beans (black-eyed or otherwise) are probably better suited to this than butter beans, but you can use whatever you have to hand.



I often seem to make dishes that serve three, giving me an initial portion and then two leftover work lunches, or if it's a meal Mr Bite is eating, one leftover work lunch. Up the quantities slightly if you are serving four, or if you want a more substantial dinner-based meal, you could divide this between two and be very satisfied after eating.

M&S-style nutty super wholefood salad
A close equivalent to the store-bought original, which is packed full of nutrition and flavour
Vegan and easily gluten free
Serves 3

Author: Bite-sized thoughts, adapted from the Marks and Spencer's salad


Ingredients
2 broccoli florets, finely chopped (no need to cook)
1/2 cup green beans, lightly cooked
1/2 cup peas, lightly cooked
3/4 cup cooked butter beans
1 cup each of cooked quinoa and brown basmati rice, or use a mix of your choosing
1 tbs soy sauce
Approx. 1 cm fresh ginger, grated
1 tsp water or oil
3 tbsp hummus
6 whole almonds, roughly chopped
6 whole pecans, roughly chopped

Method
Combine the vegetables and quinoa/rice in a bowl and mix to combine. 

In a small bowl or cup, whisk together the soy sauce, grated ginger and water/oil. Pour over the salad and stir through.

Divide the salad between three bowls or plates and top each with a 1 tbsp hummous and a third of the chopped nuts.

Can be enjoyed hot or cold.


Have you made any take-away / store-bought meals at home?

21 comments:

  1. Obviously, I have never heard of this salad, Kari because when I first looked at your post title, I thought it read M&M salad as in the candies, lol...

    However, now that I read your post, it is waaaay better than any M&M salad could be, if there were one, lol...It is not only packed with deliciousness, it sounds pretty darn healthy too!!!

    Thanks for sharing, Kari...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment made me chuckle - M&M salad would be quite different ;)

      Delete
  2. It sounds good Kari - though I'd have to sub the quinoa with brown rice or pearl barley. I am in Perth at present - it is very sunny and hot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always need salad inspiration or I tend to make the same salad over and over. This one looks fabulous. I'm trying to raise my fibre level with more soluble fibre and resistant starch and this would be an ideal salad.
    Thanks for sharing
    Julie
    Gourmet Getaways

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea of recreating M&S salads at home - yours looks so appetitising there's no need to go to the shops. And leftovers too - definite winner!

    ReplyDelete
  5. sounds really good - I had a salad with asparagus, hummus and lots of seeds recently which sounds similar to this (probably had more but I can't remember) - I love the creamy crunchy topping on the veg so I love the sound of this

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your recent salad does sound similar - there is something very satisfying about contrasting crunchy vegetables/toppings and creamy hummus :-)

      Delete
  6. I recently discovered the deli counter in M&S and they have so many amazing salads. I spent a fortune, so I am going to have to start making them myself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This salad sounds great! I especially like the dressing =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This salad sounds so filling! I also like that you often cook enough for 3 servings so you'll have enough for lunch - I usually cook just the perfect amount so there is enough left over for myself for lunch the next day too :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This salad looks so yummy. I'm trying to eat more salad, mainly, as you mentioned, because they're so handy for using up little bits of leftovers. I think I'm going to give this one a go - the dressing convinced me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like how you make enough to have leftovers. Leftovers are so handy for packing into a container and taking to work. This salad sounds really good and I love how it has nuts and hummus xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. This reminds me of the kind of food I like to have for lunch - super simple and super wholesome. Looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).