Sunday, November 8, 2015

In my kitchen - November 2015

I am linking this in to Celia's monthly In My Kitchen event at Fig Jam and Lime Cordial.

We're back! Scotland was wonderful and I look forward to sharing photos and highlights in future posts. For now, though, I am joining Celia's monthly In My Kitchen series to summarise some of what is happening in my kitchen this November.

In my kitchen, there is the tried and true mix of (soya) yoghurt with oats and fruit. I go through phases with this combination - sometimes I can't get enough and then suddenly I'm over it for a little while. Right now, I'm in the can't get enough phase.


In my kitchen, there are assorted products from Morrisons. Until recently, this was the British supermarket we didn't shop at, on account of not having one within walking distance in London or particularly close to our new home in Kent. In Scotland, though, they were the most frequent chain and we enjoyed discovering their products. I was especially pleased to see vegan millionaire's shortbread (caramel slice) in their own brand 'free from' range. I liked it a lot and more so than the other vegan millionaire's shortbread I've tried.


After being inspired by the Scottish Morrisons we shopped at our nearest store to home this morning. I picked up some discounted dairy/egg free teacakes that have gone in the freezer for the grand sum of 11p (on average) each...


...some dairy free dark chocolate (because, it would seem, I can't have an IMK post without chocolate)...


...and their own branded fruit and nut snack bars, which I am sure I could make myself, but take pleasure in trying commercially sometimes.


Less local, but which I enjoyed on long car drives in Scotland, was some Darrell Lea liquorice. I love liquorice and am pleased this Australian brand is available here (especially as the original Darrell Lea company sadly went bankrupt).


My kitchen has also featured Waitrose beetroot falafels, which Mr Bite and I both enjoyed. The beetroot flavour wasn't very noticeable but I liked the colour it provided.


Waitrose supermarkets have fallen out of my favour a bit, because they have changed their own brand dark chocolate blocks, which used to be dairy free and now aren't, as well as their own brand iced Belgium buns, which used to be vegan and now aren't. They do, at least, still have dairy free dark chocolate chunks which I like to use in baking and in desserts such as the one below (which is yoghurt with frozen cherries, the chocolate chunks, and Sweet Freedom Choc Shot sauce).


Last but not least, my kitchen has featured it's first squash of the fall - a baby one that with hindsight I wish I had stuffed, but instead cooked in a curry-style dish. I look forward to trying more before the end of autumn.


What is happening in your kitchen this month?

24 comments:

  1. I go through phases with breakfast too - currently I'm in a cold pumpkin oatmeal kick. Also I do not begrudge you any dark chocolate mentions, ha ha. That squash is super adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alllysia! And your breakfast sounds delicious :)

      Delete
  2. I thought that squash was a Christmas bauble!!! I've been in an overnight oats with banana phase for nearly a year now and still love it-- I love having breakfast set to go as soon as I wake up :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You made me laugh with the bauble reference :D It could well be though, on looking at it again!

      Delete
  3. I only vaguely remember morrisons when we lived in Edinburgh. We went to the co-op and tescos more often. That squash is so cute but then cute vegies always put on the pressure about how to feature them! Love your cherry chocolate yoghurt bowl and the beetroot falafels. I was surprised to see DArryl Lee liquorice about occasionally here but it is very welcome as I love it. Though I do not recommend their grape flavour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will look out for, and avoid, the grape! That does sound odd. I am not sure we saw Morrisons much in Edinburgh actually - maybe it is more of a western Scotland feature. The stores also tended to be very large and in the outskirts of areas so perhaps didn't fit into Edinburgh's more crowded centre.

      Delete
  4. I love breakfast....so much. we have lots of berries now. Sorry. There are so many interesting things for you to buy over there. I look forward to the Scotland photos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's ok, I'll grant you your berries and summer fruits as we are inundated with squashes and cranberries :-)

      Delete
  5. Beetroot falafels sound so intriguing! I bet they were so pretty. I love your little squash, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were really pretty - beetroot is not a good thing to get on oneself but is beautifully coloured in food!

      Delete
  6. Welcome back. You certainly get some great things from Morrisons. I love Darrel Lea licorice and it's such a shame those stores no longer exist. When I was little I used to wish that one day I could work in a Darrel Lea store and where one of those tops with the giant bows! Is it just me or is that squash tiny? xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The squash really is tiny! And I love your childhood dream of becoming a Darrell Lea worker - you must have been especially sad when the stores shut!

      Delete
  7. Oh snap! I am also in a (coconut) yoghurt, oat and fruit phase at the moment. I love the look of the millionaire's shortbread... caramel and shortbread together, why have I never thought of that before.

    My husband thinks me paranoid for checking ingredients every time I go shopping, even on the produce I buy all the time. I feel vindicated now you have also shared your experience with sneaky supermarkets changing ingredients (grrrrr).

    I love how *loved* that Darrell Lea package looks. I think their liquorish is the best too :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear we're sharing a breakfast routine :-) And I laughed at your comment about the liquorice packet - it did travel quite extensively with us!

      I confess I've gone back to doing more re-checking of ingredient lists now too. I had worked on trusting things but my trust has gone!

      Delete
  8. Hi Kari, such a load of wonderful goodies in your kitchen! Thanks for the peek! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've heard mixed reviews about the Millionaire's Shortbread, but next time I'm in Morrisons I'm going to have to pick some up and try it for myself. Those tea cakes are a proper bargain buy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe my expectations were lowered by firstly trying the Lazy Days vegan Millionaire's Shortbread (although I really like their tiffin)...I'll be interested to hear your thoughts now! It's possible if you give me chocolate and caramel in a vegan product I'm not too fussy.

      Delete
  10. Woah! That caramel slice shortbread looks so good!
    I go through yogurt phases as well. I'm out right now ;p
    Your kitchen looks super fun Kari!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great to see Darrell Lea liquorice. I think it's the best. We are huge fans of Morrisons but talk about being spoiled. Most vegans would be flat out getting one type of Millionaire's Shortbread let alone having a selection to choose from to decide upon a fave!

    ReplyDelete
  12. i get the feeling you are a bit of a chocoholic kari:) but who isn't? we loved scotland when we travelled around years ago. would love to go again. must be the scottish blood in me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kari, your yoghurt concoctions with oats and fruit or chocolate chunks and cherries both look fantastic. I also agree with you (as much as I love to cook from scratch) sometimes convenience foods make their way into my kitchen. Most recently: gluten free oat granola with dried apples and blueberries -- I added organic unsweetened toasted coconut flakes to make it "mine." ;) Whatever works! Sounds like you've achieved a healthy balance.

    ReplyDelete
  14. that is a cute little squash. yum frozen cherries and chocolate are a great combo. yep the squash does look like a xmas deco.!

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).