Thursday, November 12, 2015

Purple vegan lasagna

If I'd been more organised, I might have shared this post for Halloween. Purple lasagna would have been particularly fun then, but as it is, we're having it in mid-November. I'd like to think it is fun now too - difficult to photograph well, but fun.


As with my previous purple meals, the colour in this dish comes from purple carrots. It amazes me how much colour they are capable of providing. They usually cost a little more than regular carrots, but I get such pleasure from them that I think they're worthwhile every now and again.

Other than carrots, this dish drew inspiration from the lasagna with hummous I made earlier in the year. I used tahini here instead of hummous, but either would work well. Whilst purple carrots don't taste very different to regular ones, their dark colour conjures up a depth of flavour that tahini complements nicely.


As for the colour, I know you could make this with regular carrots, but trust me - you won't regret seeking out purple ones. Even if you don't have children, you are liable to turn child-like at the table.

What was I saying about child-like?

Purple vegan lasagna
A fun and delicious meal
Serves 2 to 3

Author: Bite-sized thoughts


Ingredients
150g lasagna sheets
1 tin (425g) crushed tomatoes
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried oregano
1/4 to 1/3 cup tahini
1 tbsp nutritional yeast
Pinch salt
3 medium purple carrots, chopped
1 large bell pepper, chopped
1 brown onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, crushed

Method
Preheat your oven to 175'C (350'F).

Combine the tomatoes, basil, oregano, tahini, nutritional yeast and salt in a bowl. Stir to combine.

Take a medium casserole dish and line the bottom with approximately one-third of your lasagna sheets (break them to fit if needed). Spoon over approximately one-third of the tomato-tahini mixture then layer over half of the carrots, pepper, and onion. 

Lay a further one-third of the lasagna sheets over the vegetables, followed by a further one-third of the tomato-tahini sauce. Add the remaining carrots, pepper and onion.

Place the final one-third of lasagna sheets over the vegetables and top with the remaining sauce.

Bake for approximately 40 minutes.

Have you enjoyed any colourful foods lately?

18 comments:

  1. sounds lovely - I agree that purple carrots are fun - I often think that having a kid around is only an excuse to please the big kid in all of us

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't even need the child for an excuse :D

      Delete
  2. I love purple carrots though I'm not very adventurous with them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the look of your purple lasagne - yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun that you have made this purple! I can't seem to find purple potatoes anywhere, but I really want to cook with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen purple potatoes either but now I want them too!

      Delete
  5. I do love lasagne - great comfort food. I love purple carrots although they're not always easy to source. They certainly do provide great colour xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, this looks so good. I do love pasta, so this will be the perfect dish I need to try. Thank you for sharing this recipe. I love cooking and the procedure you have shared seems pretty easy. Please keep your posts coming.

    ReplyDelete
  7. In an odd moment of synchronicity, I made some purple carrot hummus this morning. I tend not to keep their peel for stock (unlike orange carrots) because purple gravy looks really odd! Purple lasagne, however, looks very good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I can imagine purple gravy being off putting, unless you're a 5-year-old boy!! Purple hummus sounds brilliant though.

      Delete
  8. How fun! I love vegetables that are different from regular colours, even if they don't taste any different. Purple cauliflower and potatos for example!

    The tahini sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really need to find some other purple veggies to play with - I've never seen purple cauli or potatoes!

      Delete
  9. Oooh purple things taste better in my opinion ;p And makes things more fun.
    This veggie-filled lasagna sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a delicious looking dish!
    I'm looking for some meatless dishes at the moment, my body needs a "health break".
    Thanks for sharing,
    Julie
    Gourmet Getaways

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).