Friday, November 27, 2015

Vegan Life Magazine, issue 11 (November 2015)

I receive complimentary digital copies of Vegan Life, which allows me to post reviews with screenshots included. My reflections on the magazine are entirely my own.


Another month and another jam-packed issue of Vegan Life Magazine. It was an especially good month for desserts, as in addition to the triple chocolate brownies on the cover, there was a stunning matcha mint cheesecake within. Isn't the green colour amazing?



I always love the mix of news pieces with food-focused pieces, and was interested to read that Hackney Council (North East London) suspended plans for a fox cull after protests from the RSPCA and other animal rights groups. It was a nice reminder that people can make a difference if they stand up for things they think important. I know foxes cause problems, but since moving to the UK I have come to love their silent beauty (they aren't common in Australia) and would hate to think of them being killed off.


Also in East London is the Just Fab double decker bus serving vegan and vegetarian Italian food. I hadn't heard of it before but it looks like a very fun place to eat a meal. They serve dishes like vegan lasagne and vegan tiramisu.


In the 'What's New' section I was interested to read of a new addition to the Fry's vegan range (found in Australia and the UK) - a quinoa country roast. Fry's products are authentically meat like so I will be interested to try the roast if I see it. I would also be interested to try the Eat Chic peanut butter cups...



I always love the 'Accidental Vegan' features, which tell of products that aren't vegan branded but are vegan nonetheless. I already knew about the M&S apple and sultana loaf, and can recommend it!


Last but not least, given my history of trying to veganise yoghurt, I was interested to read a feature on that topic. I have given up my own homemade yoghurt efforts but may one day try again. The feature advised using agar agar and probiotic powder for soya milk / soya yoghurt, and commercial coconut yoghurt to provide the cultures for coconut milk / coconut yoghurt.




Whilst not part of the magazine per se, I was also delighted to arrive home recently to a new Vegan Life bag. I love the definition of veganism they have featured.


Do you have a homemade non-dairy yoghurt success story?

12 comments:

  1. The matcha mint cheesecake sounds intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That matcha cheesecake looks stunning and I'd love to try the Fry's new loaf - will have to check out if it is in the Fry's section of our local supermarket. And I am sad to hear you haven't had much success with home made vegan yoghurt - I have tried a few commercial ones and not found any to love but I would love to find a vegan yoghurt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have settled relatively happily with soya almond and soya coconut varieties, made by Alpro here. They don't have the characteristic tartness of plain dairy yoghurt but have a tartness and distinct flavour of their own. I would love to master a homemade one though.

      Delete
  3. I'm going to keep an eye out for the Fry's loaf. I too am interested in that yoghurt article. My own home made efforts have stagnated but I'd love to make a really successful batch, if only to prove to myself that it can be done!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think foxes are gorgeous. I do know they are a problem for farmers but they do have very pretty faces. I do hate to think of them being hunted down on those fox hunts - the poor things must be so terrified. I love the look of the double decker bus and the Italian food looks great. And that matcha cake is such a gorgeous colour - quite Christmasy actually although I'd have to add a red layer in there somewhere xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A red layer in the matcha cake is an excellent idea!

      Delete
  5. This mag looks so good! That's great news for the foxes of north London :D the guide for veganising yoghurt would also be useful to me - I used to make coconut yoghurt regularly but I need to brush up on my yoghurt making skills!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That chocolate cake on the cover looks incredible. There is an Instagram account dedicated to things accidentally vegan. It is amazing how many things are vegan without even trying to be.

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).