Monday, August 26, 2013

Easy chickpea salad with balsamic roasted sweet potato and carrot

I seem to be constantly posting 'easy' recipes these days. I think I am overdue for an afternoon in the kitchen with a complex, multi-step dish. For now, though, easy seems to be it.

Fortunately, I think some of you appreciate easy recipes as much as I do. Also fortunately, this salad is easy and delicious. After all, can you go wrong with chickpeas, sweet potato and balsamic vinegar? I don't think so.


This is more of a recipe concept than a strict step-by-step recipe. I guess that's what happens when you do easy meals - they're easy to tweak, tailor and adapt to what suits you. What I did is outlined below, but please feel free to modify to taste and convenience.

Chickpea salad with balsamic roasted sweet potato and carrot
About as easy as you can get when factoring in oven roasting!
Vegan.
Serves 2 as a meal serve, or more people as a side dish.


Ingredients
1 large sweet potato, peeled and sliced into rounds
1 large carrot, peeled and sliced into rounds
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried oregano

1 cup cooked chickpeas
2-3 cups shredded lettuce

Method
Preheat your oven to 200'C.

Place the sliced sweet potato and carrot in a roasting dish and drizzle with the balsamic vinegar. Sprinkle over the herbs, and toss to mix through.

Roast for 1.5 - 1.75 hours, or until the vegetables are fully cooked. Check after 1 hour and cover the roasting dish (with foil or a lid) at that point.

Allow the vegetables to cool, and then combine with the chickpeas and lettuce. Toss, and serve.


I don't think I'll ever get tired of chickpeas or sweet potato.


Are you into easy dishes or do you regularly schedule more advanced meals / cooking ventures?

30 comments:

  1. Easy meals like this sound good to me - I do some more complicated meals but often they will make the next few nights easier with leftovers - last night I had leftover rice and vegan cheese sauce and fried onions and roasted beetroot - only had to fry up a bit of rainbow chard and I had a very nice easy meal. I don't have sweet potato as often as I would like but like to have a can of chickpeas always on the ready for a low energy day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like to use leftovers more than we do - Mr Bite seems to view the same meal (or variants thereof) 2 nights in a row as a very odd thing! Most unhelpful. I use leftovers more for lunches, but it does make a week of dinners hard to think up sometimes.

      Delete
  2. I have been craving veggies lately and I love sweet potatoes. I am going to have to try this recipe sometime soon. Thanks for sharing it! I usually do easy dishes during the week and leave the more complicated ones for the weekend when I have time. I even spend Sunday night doing meal prep to makes the weekdays less stressful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am definitely a fan of Sunday meal preparation for the week ahead - it makes such a big difference :)

      Delete
  3. This is EXACTLY the kind of thing that I should be eating the lunch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn't it be nice if it could just appear before you at lunch time? I wish that would happen often!

      Delete
  4. I love easy recipes (well that's pretty much the bulk of what I write about on my blog, haha.) This one looks fabulous and so easy to put together. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am all for easy - life doesn't give me time to do complex too often. This looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THanks Cakelaw, I'm glad it's not just me who struggles with the time for complex dishes.

      Delete
  6. Love your combo of sweet potato and vinegar! yum! yum! yum!
    Shashi @ http://runninsrilankan.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also like it with apple cider vinegar :-)

      Delete
  7. I've been doing a lot of fairly easy recipes too. I think that's okay though because really, who has the time to do complex recipes! I'm a big fan of chickpeas so this salad is a winner for me xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Especially in your household! I imagine complex gets hard to justify when a young adult child might eat the whole dish in one sitting ;)

      Delete
  8. Easy meals and freezer friendly meals are my go to all the way :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I've appropriated my parent's cast off big freezer, I need to get into the freezer approach too!

      Delete
  9. Sounds delicious. I enjoy anything drizzled with balsamic, a perfect salad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took me a long time to catch on, but so do I now :)

      Delete
  10. Looks lovely! I'd definitely need to add some delicious fat to make this a proper meal for myself, though, specially as you don't even put oil on your roasted veg! I'm a fan of North America's obsession with candied walnuts or pecans in salads, for example... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must confess, I only ate this as a side so I might have felt the same way if I'd eaten it as a main meal. Knowing me, though, I'd have eaten it as is but followed up with dessert.

      I ate some tiramisu almonds yesterday and thought of you :-)

      Delete
    2. Dude, were those from Woolies? I remember seeing those at the shops across from my house, and always MEANT to buy them.

      But you probably got them from some classy joint, actually..!

      Delete
    3. Nope, Woolworths is my kind of place :-) These were actually from an IGA though...and one which is about 30 seconds walk from one of my workplaces, so I can sense what snacks are going to be filling my work days in the near future.

      Delete
  11. I totally forgot about sweet potatoes all summer then got a sudden craving recently so I bought 3 enormous ones! This looks like a lovely way to enjoy them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do that too! For a vegetable I love a lot, it's odd I can sometimes forget about it :)

      Delete
  12. I never get tired of roasted sweet potato in salads, never! Or of easy dishes...far more appealing than complicated ones :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's definitely the way in this house :)

      Delete
  13. I like easy, it's too hard to cook complex meals on a week night when you have a child, full time job and the laundry has piled up! Bring on easy ;) this salad is perfect Kari

    ReplyDelete
  14. I peeled sweet potato strips over pizza the other night and have been trying to think of new ways to use it up. Love this salad. So healthy and filling.

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).