Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Apple cider pumpkin fries

I am a detail-focused thinker. There are times when it would be appropriate to say that I don't see the wood for the trees, and I am terrible at puzzles that require you to see one thing in two different ways.

This trait can be useful sometimes, and it can be a bit unhelpful at other times. As I confessed to Mr Bite this week, I only recently realised that the Tudor, Elizabethan, Georgian, Victorian and Edwardian periods in British history actually lined up with the names of the ruling Kings and Queens of the same time periods. I had thought of the different periods as being characterised by distinctive styles of architecture and art, with it pure coincidence that the titles overlapped with royal names (which, after all, do repeat themselves frequently). Now I've made the connection, it is glaringly obvious where the names came from, and I'm embarrased it took me so long to work it out. That is generally the way - once you have spotted the woods, it seems incredible you didn't put the trees together beforehand to see the bigger picture.


What does this all have today with today's post? Well, until last week, it never occurred to me to make pumpkin chips / fries. Potato and sweet potato - of course. Celeriac, carrot, parsnip and even turnip - sure. But pumpkin? Never occurred to me.

After it did occur to me, I had to try the idea out. And, of course, the resulting fries were so wonderful that I don't know why I didn't think of them earlier.


I am using the term 'fries' over 'chips' because these really are like American fries - narrow, shoe-string cut chips that are a perfect mix of crispy and soft. They are simply seasoned with apple cider vinegar and a dash of salt, and are entirely delightful. You don't really need a recipe, but I'm jotting what I did below. Feel free to change it up, add or remove seasonings, and make these your own.

Apple cider pumpkin fries
Easy, delicious and customisable to taste.
Vegan and low fat.
Makes enough for 2 to share.

Print recipe.

Preheat your oven to very hot (200'C) and line a baking tray with baking paper.

Take a medium butternut pumpkin, peel it and remove the seeds, and cut the flesh into thin pieces.

Lay the pumpkin pieces on your baking tray and brush with apple cider vinegar (I used about 1 tbsp). Sprinkle with a pinch of salt.

Bake for 25 - 30 minutes, until cooked and starting to look crispy.


I'm sending these fries to Healthy Vegan Friday #56 and Ricki's Wellness Weekend 15th to 19th August 2013.

Does anyone else have experiences like I do, where you make a connection long after everyone else and can't believe you didn't see it earlier?

And what about pumpkin fries - are they something you've tried?

33 comments:

  1. Ha ha I've never thought to try pumpkin fries either but they sure sound delicious. Def trying them next week now ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum those look so delicious!!

    Yes definitely I can't think of an example but there have been plenty of times when I've had an 'ah' moment so that's what that means :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess the one nice thing about 'ah' moments is they are so satisfying when a connection dawns on you!

      Delete
    2. I guess the one good thing about 'ah' moments is they are so satisfying when you've made the connection :)

      Delete
  3. What a great idea. I make sweet potato fries all the time but pumpkin? genius :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it amazing how they're not made by everyone? They really are excellent!

      Delete
  4. Ha ha ha! My brain works like that too. :) And yeah, wouldn't have thought of this - it sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There seem to be a few of us around - thank goodness!

      Delete
  5. I am very much like you, and people just tell me I'm slow. I prefer your words..."detail-focused thinker." Yup! That's what I am ;). I've never thought of or tried pumpkin fries either. And yes, I'm wondering why that thought never crossed my mind before..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely detail-focused Min! ;) And I hope you enjoy the pumpkin fries if you do try them!

      Delete
  6. I've tried to make 'fries' from vegetables before as a side to my dish, and the closest I've been able to come to it is pumpkin. But I never thought to try using a bit of apple cider vinegar on them - it sounds like it might be a real winner!

    I'll have to give these a go, because they look delish! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apple cider makes everything better in my view ;)

      Delete
  7. The only era I associated with royalty with the Victorian era. Somehow I always knew that related to Queen Vic. But as for the others, it never occurred to me either but mostly, because I didn't give it much thought. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is difficult making all the connections one could make in all the different areas connections exist! I suppose most of us don't spend our free thinking time on past kings and queens :P

      Delete
  8. I think everyone does this. I had a similar moment recently of something clicking into place, but I can't really write about it here. So instead I'll comment with what is perhaps worse than never thinking of pumpkin fries in the first place: I have made them before, even a few times in my Philips airfryey, but then I forgot all about them for years. Ta Kari!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy rediscovering them :-) And whatever your recent 'click' was, cheers to that too!

      Delete
  9. Eeeek! How come I never thought of pumpkin as fries? I guess I can't make connections either, lol. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea why they aren't more popular!

      Delete
  10. Pumpkin and I generally don't get along although I can put up with it on occasion if it's roasted. I think I would enjoy these if I could handle the chopping which is another peeve I have with pumpkin. Carrot fries are my addiction - I make them once or twice a week to have as a side in the colder months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked these far more than normal roast pumpkin so they may be a more appealing option if you find yourself needing to use up a pumpkin at any stage? Carrots are always a winner though :-)

      Delete
  11. hehehe Kari, love that you only just made that connection with the royalty :-)
    Now there are oodles of things I've been a little late to the party with connecting...but, can't think of a one at the moment. (Being so many)
    And pumpkin fries? yes please!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes me wonder how many other connections I am yet to make!?

      Delete
  12. So making these! YUM :) I always roast pumpkin, never thought to make it into fries though, great idea.

    I often do things like that too, but on the flip side things or connections I think are obvious to everyone quite often aren't...and trying to explain them can be quite frustrating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine! Fortunately pumpkin fries can be shared without explanation ;)

      Delete
  13. Pumpkin fries?! YUM!!!!! They almost look like sweet potato fries which I love and I love pumpkin so I would have to really enjoy the fries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love sweet potato too and these are definitely a related (and similarly tasty) option!

      Delete
  14. never had pumpkin chips - maybe that would be a way to coax sylvia to eat pumpkin - though I suspect she would just say yuck! Me - I would love these as roast pumpkin is food from the gods!

    I can get focussed on the details and find it embarrassing to put my head up and see the forest - but this doesn't explain why I am terrible at recognising famous people :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect Sylvia would say 'yuck' too - children seem to just know when they're given something they theoretically don't like!

      Funny to hear about your famous people difficulties. I suppose it's better to not recognise them than people you actually know and work with? :)

      Delete
  15. I love your wonderful idea of using pumpkin for fries. I guess I'm also too focus as well. LOL....I love sweet potato fries too. These must be just as wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked them just as much as sweet potato!

      Delete
  16. Kari I think we all have those moments. Its just part of being human. I am glad you thought to make pumpkin fries I sure would love them

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).