Saturday, June 9, 2012

An overdue garden update...and coconut ice cream

It's been a while since I've mentioned my courtyard garden. There is a good reason for this: it's been a while since I've done any work in my courtyard garden.

The 'easy' bits have been taking care of themselves, but my vegetable patches have been waiting patiently to be turned over after our scorching summer finished off the tomatoes, corn, and capsicum that had been growing.

Before summer scorching...

I'm pleased to say that the update has finally happened.


In addition to new vegetables, we have a mandarin tree to complement the lemon that was bought in January. This has actually been around since April, with Mr Bite receiving it for his birthday from his mother.



The new vegetables include bok choi, Italian kale (!) and English spinach...


...and then beetroot planted in with some chives...


New flowers are also present, with some mona lavender already looking strikingly purple. I hadn't heard of this lavender variety before, but apparently it grows more shrub like and with smaller flowers than traditional lavender varieties.


All in all, a much happier situation than the dead and scorched, and then decomposing and soggy, scenario that has been present over the last two months.

On non-garden matters, the title of this post has already alluded to my latest Extremely Exciting Supermarket Discovery.

Coconut icecream.


There may have been squealing when I found this.

There may also have been considerable inner turmoil over how to justify the extreme price tag. Let's just say this won't be a regular treat.

However, as the first time I have ever had an opportunity to try coconut ice cream (even the non-canned varieties of coconut milk are hard to source in Perth), it was definitely coming home with me.

I have only tried a small amount thus far, but I was surprised at how creamy and ice cream like it is. It's certainly different to the soy vanilla ice cream that I more regularly buy, which I like, but does taste different to regular ice cream. Mind you, the soy vanilla ice cream probably has about half of the calories and fat of this, so perhaps the creaminess is understandable!

The fact that the ingredient list is beautifully simple - coconut milk, agave nectar, pure vanilla extract, vanilla beans and guar gym - is a bonus.


All in all, an exciting discovery indeed.

Any garden activities happening in your world? 
And have you tried coconut ice cream...or coconut yoghurt, which is still on my 'to try' (and 'to find') list?

25 comments:

  1. I love seeing pictures of the garden! how fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your garden and the unique veggies you are growing! My patio garden is the standard. But I am growing some heirloom tomatoes that I am VERY excited about. I meant to grow tomatillos this summer and I FORGOT!!! grrrrr.
    I am TOTALLY on the lookout for the coconut ice cream....that is screaming my name!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heirloom tomatoes sound great! I grew some last summer but wish I had grown more as they were such fun with different shapes and colours.

      Definitely keep an eye out for coconut ice cream :)

      Delete
  3. Your garden looks like it's full of promise. I plan on getting a herb garden established very soon xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a really fun process - even though I still manage to kill a lot! I hope you enjoy your planting when you get to it.

      Delete
  4. Love your garden in pots. I have to do the same thing because my back garden is a canal and won't grow a damn thing except fish and crabs. I do have all my herbs growing just outside my kitchen door - great morning sun.

    That coconut ice cream looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never knew how much was possible in pots until I tried. I would love a bigger, 'proper' garden one day but for now, this keeps me happy!

      Delete
  5. That's great your garden is growing well - I love winter when I don't have to get anxious about the garden getting too dry. Hope your kale goes well - ours was brilliant and then got eaten up by some animals other then us.

    Coconut ice cream sounds excellent - I love tinned coconut milk so anything with it appeals

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to watch out for the kale eating animals...I have had trouble with bugs in the past but I have big plans for this kale so I won't be happy if the problems repeat with this plant!

      I am becoming more and more a coconut fan, after once not liking it much at all. It seems so versatile, there's not much it can't be used for.

      Delete
  6. Your garden looks beautiful. Hope I could have my garden looks good too :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. such a cutie garden!! i wish i had more of a green thumb. :) have to admit i'm not a fan of coconut, when i bite into one of the chocolates with coconut i get disappointed. hehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually used to be the same - I don't know what has happened to my coconut taste buds but they are very different to 3 years ago!

      Delete
  8. Oh yum, now that does sound good.
    As for your garden, it looks a whole lot more abundant than my sad little pots :-(
    I'll be interested to see how your two citrus go over time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Things were pretty sad up until this replanting, believe me. Burnt and then decomposing corn leaves are not a pretty sight! Hopefully your pots can get some new life if Sydney ever gives you some sunshine?

      Delete
  9. I've seen this in Canberra and also squealed, but couldn't buy it because I was in a far-flung shop on my way to a movie so couldn't get it to a freezer. After seeing the price tag, I was glad I couldn't buy it, but I'd be lying if I said I hadn't thought of it frequently since! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I needed, a movie prevention strategy! The worst thing is there was a chocolate flavour too and I sense that will play on my mind. Why can't these things be cheaper?!

      Delete
  10. I've got a garden post coming up tomorrow. We have lots of space to fill up, so although your space is small I kind of envy the neatness and the lushness that you've got going on!

    And we use coconut milk in our ice cream maker, and it is fantabulous, so I imagine that this ice cream is really delicious. We made some ice cream for Andy's omnivore parents and they were in serious love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, now I want an ice cream maker for the sole purpose of making coconut ice cream! I don't know why the possibilities for vegan ice cream with an ice cream maker didn't occur to me before...thanks for planting the seed of what may turn into a new purchase eventually :)

      I'll look forward to your garden post too!

      Delete
  11. Queen's birthday weekend must be a key gardening weekend for us all. We did a huge cleanout but it doesn't look as pretty as yours. Everything is just dry and dormant through our cold winter, plus I couldn't be bothered putting anything in before we go away. But hopefully when we get back our peas and spinach will have sprouted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coming back to sprouting peas and spinach would be a lovely welcome home gift! Well done on your cleanout - it sounds more extensive than mine. Oddly, WA has their long weekend the week before everyone else, and it was also one of the public holidays my workplace doesn't do, but I'm glad you put yours to good use!

      Delete
  12. I've been meaning to stop by a home improvement store to pick up items for a balcony garden, but I keep forgetting. Yours looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It took me ages to get going with it but once you start it's almost a bit addictive. Have fun with your balcony when you get to it!

      Delete
  13. An herb garden design is a great way to make your garden look elegant and attractive. It's not difficult to get the hang of growing a herb garden, and once you come up with herb garden design ideas, you'll soon discover that the entire process is both relaxing and rewarding.

    Flower Bed

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).