Friday, June 15, 2012

Fortnightly Fitness Fridays - Cycling fun

A month or so ago, I mentioned that I wanted to consolidate my outdoor cycling efforts and also use my bike for trips to the fruit and vegetable market I visit each Sunday. Unexpectedly, a number of you commented with helpful advice on bike carrier / pannier options - for which I am very grateful. It sounds like panniers are definitely a good buy if you're looking at a purchase in this area.

After that post, I got myself into gear and looked into panniers. I looked online. I looked in stores. I found some great options. However, in the end I was a little daunted by the price!

It would have been about $100 for the rack and pannier bags. That isn't a huge amount of money, and if I was cycling daily it would be easily justified. However, for short trips that may only occur once per week, it seemed a little too much for my needs.

So, instead I bought a detachable basket for the grand total of $25.


Panniers would have given me more carrying space, and a better balanced load, but there is something quite quaint about having a basket and I'm liking it very much. 

It's not a perfect carrying system and I've found that the best approach is to use the basket for produce that might get squashed, and then put heavier items (carrots, potatoes, apples...) in my backpack or messenger bag. I do like that the basket slides on and off, and that it's large enough to fit a reasonable amount.


I also like, in fact love, the experience of cycling to the markets, buying produce, and then cycling home again with my basket. It just feels good.

It feels good to cycle instead of drive. To avoid the hassle of finding a parking spot, use less fuel, and feel the wind on my face as I zip along on the bike (or crawl along, on the homeward stretch that involves an uphill component...).

It feels good to abandon all efforts at appearance, something that I find surprisingly (perhaps scarily!) easy to justify when I need to wear a bike helmet and be dressed to cycle. My hair gets to be a little wild. My outfit gets to be entirely casual. Definitely no make up.

It just feels good.

It may be the best $25 I've spent this year.

Do you use your bike for transport or carrying purchases? 
Or do you have any other simple activities that give you enjoyment?

16 comments:

  1. I like the basket you have. If you have a nice purse or something you don't want to shove in a pannier, it helps show it off :-)I have nice big panniers that I found at a thrift store a few years ago. I could fit so many groceries in them! They got a hole in the bottom & I got a pair of Trek ones, which are smaller but more durable. Hopefully you can find maybe a used pannier that would be cheaper then buying them new.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Second hand panniers are a great idea! I'll have to see if I can find some, it would be a much better option than purchasing new.

      Delete
  2. I much prefer the basket idea. My husband bought a basket for his bike so that when a few things are needed he can race up to the shops and bring them back in his basket. And like you say, there is something quite wonderful or romantic about a basket on a bike - you made the right choice! Oh, and, when we're going to the park, we put our dogs in our basket! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh how sweet! I'm sure your neighbours love watching the dogs go by :-)

      Delete
  3. I almost bought a pannier rack recently that was going cheap in a bike store - because I still miss my panniers that were loaned and never returned - I rode a lot when I had them and they were great - I think a basket is really cool - there are green ones I would love to get - and a good way to start using your bike for groceries - now I think maybe I need a basket for quick trips to the shops because I have had vegies chopped up in the wheels when trying to have bags hanging off my handlebars!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When looking at panniers and their prices, I felt an extra wave of sympathy for your borrowed and not returned ones! Very rude of the person in question. A green basket does sound very appropriate as an alternative though - and I can attest it does wonders for avoiding fruit and veg jarring against the wheels! That was the exact problem I encountered with bags off the handlebars.

      Delete
  4. That is the most adorable thing EVER. I SO wish I lived somewhere where I could bike to the store. And then, if I did, I wish I wasn't far too lazy and uncoordinated to do such a thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately, there isn't too much coordination involved (given I have managed it), but living somewhere near a store is a bit of a necessity. Maybe you could get the basket and pretend? :-)

      Delete
  5. I LOVE the basket! I so dream about biking around with a cute little basket like that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gosshhh I love this post! Simply because I love cycling and the idea of the olden days when people used to bike around to buy food. And it reminds me of childhood because in Argentina we didn't have a car, so I always got around on my bike by myself~It's awesome you love this "tradition". Yes, in this day and age, it is a tradition it seems. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does feel nicely traditional - although as you say, it's strange in some ways that we've moved away from it and now it is tradition! Perhaps bikes and baskets will come back in fashion.

      Delete
  7. way to go!!! okay, i totally love the feeling of making/doing something like this urself...sort of jimmy-rigging it. i'm a total frugal chick and have found that duct tape can achieve almost anything! ;) lol....that said, i think ur bike looks AWESOME, heck maybe u can start a trend with other people using similar baskets. have a great night!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, duct tape certainly is a versatile accessory :) And I love the bike basket as a trend idea - probably not to be started by me, but if enough people use them maybe it will become a rediscovered way of shopping.

      Delete
  8. The basket sounds like a great option for infrequent trips! I commuted to work by bike for a couple of years as it was only a 20 minute cycle and really loved it. I don't get on my bike much these days as there are shops within walking distance which is great for small shopping trips when you don't need to carry much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walking is a bit simpler for small shopping trips - no helmet and bike lock to worry about aside from anything else! A 20 minute cycle commute sounds lovely though, I imagine one would miss it if you'd had that for a while and then changed job / location.

      Delete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).