Monday, December 5, 2011

More non-dairy milk - but with bonus! over! excitement!

I imagine that after this post, you thought I was finished with milk and milk alternatives.

Me too.

Sorry about that.

You see, recently I found these:



And then, even more recently, I saw that So Good (one of Australia's largest soy milk brands) now does Almond milk.

Are you experiencing a rush of excitement alongside me? No? Maybe the full story will help...

The first (pictured) discoveries were made on a Monday, and a Monday when I was due to work from 7.30am (ish) to 7.00pm. I do this once a fortnight and it is fine, but on this particular week, I was also going to work from 8.00am (ish) to 8.00pm on the Wednesday, and so the first half of the week was looking a little long.

But then, for various contextual reasons, I didn't need to work until 7.00pm. In fact, I could finish at 4.30pm. And so I did.

What does one do when one is granted a bonus window of time that is nearly at the end of the day, but not quite?

In my case, the answer is visit a rarely visited supermarket. The supermarket that stocks exciting chocolate, liquorice tea, and just about the full range (I think) of Orgran vegan and gluten-free biscuits.


The supermarket in question, in case you were wondering, is a Farmer Jack's, a Western Australian variation of the independent Foodworks company. They aren't cheap supermarkets - especially not for me - but they can be exciting ones.

On this particular day, I was happily browsing the aisles, with no items as yet in my hands. I had travelled down the chocolate aisle, still had the organic and 'health food' aisle to go, and was passing the cereals and snack bars when the shelf-stable milks caught my attention.

Honestly, excitement doesn't do the experience justice. Giddy, oh-my-goodness-me thoughts and an adrenalin rush that I suspect could have been put to better use (running a marathon, say) than making me near hyperventilate in the supermarket.

The chocolate hazelnut milk caught my eye first...


In effect, nutella in vegan milk form. The ingredient list and nutritional information confirmed that this was definitely a dessert milk, but I didn't care. I was smitten and I was holding the carton tightly.

And then I looked along the shelf. Near hyperventilation may have progressed to hyperventilation.

In addition to the So Delicious Original Coconut Milk I previously found and reviewed, they had Vanilla and Unsweetened Original Coconut Milk in the 920ml size. They also had Vanilla, Unsweetened Original, and Chocolate varieties in the 8-pack 'grab and go' 190ml cartons.


Why does the opportunity to pay twice as much for individual packaging, that involves extra production and recycling work no less, make me happy? Well, 200ml of coconut milk per week is about all I really want. This way I can spread my consumption out and not end up wasting half a 920ml tetrapack. Also, remember those 7.30am start work days? They typically occur when I go straight from the gym to work. On those days, tetrapack non-dairly milk has the potential to be very useful.

After discovering this range of So Delicious milks, I nearly ran to the freezer section to see if they had started stocking the icecream range too. Sadly, no - nor the yoghurts - but on reflection I think it may be for the best. My heart rate and bank account may not have coped otherwise.

The verdict with regard to taste?

The chocolate hazelnut milk was, hands down, the best chocolate milk I have ever tasted. I can now say that I like chocolate milk, not just on cereal but on its own, when it is in this form. It has a deep chocolatey flavour that is enticing without being overpowering. Somehow it manages to not taste milky, whilst still seeming like chocolate milk, which is difficult to accurately describe but means I like it very, very much.


The milk was surprisingly pale in appearance, but the taste was richer than the colouring would imply.


All in all, I loved this milk. As with other nut milks, you can't taste the hazlenut, but the overall taste is one I would recommend.

The unsweetened coconut milk tasted, well, creamy without being too creamy, and slightly odd in its lack of sweetness. I liked it, but the taste wasn't like that of a milk drink I had previously tried.


It didn't curdle in coffee, consistent with what I found with the sweetened original version I previously tried, but in that form it tasted rather bitter - so I don't think I'll be using it for that. I like the idea of being able to take cereal and coconut milk to work, though, given I do have breakfast there twice a week and would be more than happy to snack on cereal with this milk in the afternoons of my longer work days.

(As opposed to dry cereal, which I already do more often than I like to admit.)

I have also found that cereal sucks this milk up in a rather pleasing way - for me at least, given I am quite fond of mushy cereal, even though traditionally I have liked my mush made with water.

This isn't the same bowl of cereal as above, but looked fairly similar before it was left to soak: sultana bran with 100ml (or so) of the coconut milk, left for 30 minutes in the fridge. With mango.

With regard to the So Good Almond Milk, I haven't actually tried this yet. I really couldn't justify any more milk purchases, but will give this a go as soon as my current stock of milk is run down. In the mean time, I have added the nutritional information to my original spreadsheet, and also updated that post with summary details of the two milks above.

I also promise, solemnly, not to do more milk posts for a little while. It's getting to be hard to believe that I technically don't like milk at all...


Have you had any exciting supermarket discoveries lately? Or tried any of the above products?

27 comments:

  1. Liz@LastChanceTrainingDecember 5, 2011 at 9:37 AM

    that actually looks pretty good - but those cranberry rolls in your last post look amazing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. can't say I get excited about milk - the very idea is icky but I did get excited to see hazelnut milk in a smoothie today at lunchtime and had to try it - and I had a nice grocery haul tonight when I stopped by Radical Grocery - such a great name for a store. Most exciting was finding dandy vegan marshmallows

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't really get excited about milk either but I wanted to stop by and wish you a Happy Birthday. Hope you are having a great day! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy belated birthday! I had lots of friends growing up with early December birthdays, and even though it's been years since I've talked to any of them, I still remember. One was Dec 5.. so as I realized today was Dec 6, I thought of her and then you! I hope you had a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh shoot- TODAY is Dec 5! Never mind! Clearly I have been studying way too much (finals.)

    I hope you have a great day today! (Or maybe it's already over.. I am really ignorant about the time variances between America and Australia.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I smiled at your 'icky' reference as 6 months ago I would never have imagined I'd be excited about milk, non-dairy or not. It's funny how things change! With that said, vegan marshmallows win out over milk any day - how very exciting. Please blog about them, I'd love to hear how you find them. The hazelnut milk smoothie also sounds like a good discovery :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so very much Mel. Impressive remembering and it was really kind of you to stop by! I did have a great day :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Teehee, I think you did scrape in on the 5th in Australia too, but I am so impressed you remembered at all that I would not have minded in the slightest if it was the 6th! Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum, I loooove So Delicious. I don't know how long its been around but I'm only discovering how much I like it now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My discovery is that Aldi has their stocks of leibkuchen (German gingerbread) in for Christmas. Well there go the healthy eating plans!

    Happy (belated) birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. HAPPY BIRTHDAY FOR YESTERDAY KARI!!!!!! xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kari a big Happy Birthday from me too. I hope you had a lovely day, (and perhaps a big glass of chocolate hazelnut milk to kick start it all off- it does sound rather delicious!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. You know the adrenaline you felt? That's exactly what I get, and I often squeal. Out loud. Right now, though, the feeling is manifesting as burning envy, because I still haven't seen ANY of this here! Did you happen to check whether the So Good Almond Milk has any calcium?

    But most importantly, happy birthday you brilliant, fantastic, enthusiastic, glad-we're-friends lady!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Enjoy having all the different flavours! :) There are a few to discover I think.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gingerbread is a good excuse to push aside healthy eating if ever there was one! Anyway, everything in moderation, right? :)

    Also, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you Mrs Bok! :) I hope Master Bok had a lovely day too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you Brydie, very much :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh darling Hannah, I should have known you'd understand. I think we'd make good shopping partners (or perhaps terrible shopping partners, because we'd be squealing down the aisles most inappropriately?). Sadly, though, the So Good Almond Milk excitement is a little dampened by the lack of any calcium at all. I wish they'd add it!

    Thank you for the birthday wishes too! And right back at you :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think a $300 grocery bill would be worth it if it were racked up with you, dear one. Gah, guess I won't be getting that almond milk either. Still missin' the Almond Breeze American one with 40% calcium!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've heard almond milk is very good for you and no one is likely to have an adverse reaction to it. But yes - it's pricey compared with cows milk.

    ReplyDelete
  21. 40%?! Wow. I miss it too now and I haven't even had it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm addicted to unsweetened almond milk. Chocolate, vanilla, original, I love them all! I tried that coconut milk, too---sweetened and unsweetened, and I preferred the latter, which is kinda my thing. Sadly, I haven't seen them since moving away from Vancouver, so I'll just live vicariously through you. I'm on a no-sugar kick, but if not... that liquid nutella sounds AMAZING. In a cup of iced espresso, especially!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hopefully the unsweetened coconut milk will return to you soon - I imagine it would be particularly suited to times of sugar avoidance! Given I'm not on such a kick, I'm now motivated to try your suggestion of pairing coffee with the chocolate hazelnut. Mmm.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh wow, I will definitely be trying these - now it's just a matter of finding them. :/

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).