Friday, September 2, 2011

Fish parcel surprise

It seems a little odd to be posting a fish recipe. Clearly, most of the recipes I post are vegan or vegetarian, and the same goes for most of the products I eat and discuss. However, I do still eat fish, usually one serve per week, and this recipe seemed worth sharing.

(If you find it odd that I eat fish and not eggs or cheese, please bear with me!)

I first tried this recipe a month or so ago, when Mr Bite and I had our respective parents over for dinner. I like to have oven-based dishes on such occasions, so I'm not worrying about cooking food on the stove top or trying to get things hot at the last minute.

On that night, I actually didn't like this much at all. I was also concerned that the favourable feedback from the rest of the table was polite, rather than genuine, praise. However, when Mr Bite asked for it again, I knew he must have liked it - and thought perhaps I should give it a second go myself.

I'm glad I did, as the second time around I enjoyed this. I now suspect that my first parcel had the dregs of the sauce mixture, which would explain the sub-optimal result then.



Lime and Sweet Chilli Fish Parcels
Adapted from Taste.com.au
Makes 4 parcels

Ingredients:
  • 4 fish fillets, ~100g each (I used New Zealand Hake)
  • 1/4 - 1/2 cup coriander leaves, chopped
  • 1 tbsp brown sugar
  • 1 tbsp soy sauce
  • 1/4 cup lime juice
  • 2 - 3 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
  • 1 shallot, finely chopped
  • 1 carrot, finely sliced
  • 1 small capsicum, finely sliced

Instructions:
  • Preheat oven to 200'C. Tear 4 large pieces of aluminum foil and set them aside.
  • Combine coriander, brown sugar, soy sauce, lime juice and sweet chilli sauce in a jug or bowl. Mix well.
  • Place one fish fillet in the centre of each aluminium foil piece. Drizzle 1/4 of the sauce over each fish fillet. Top with sliced shallot, carrot and capsicum.
  • Bring the long sides of the aluminium foil together, and fold over at the top twice. Bring in the short sides to form a parcel, with a seam running along the top.
  • Bake in prepared oven for 15 minutes, or until fish is cooked through. 
  • Serve with rice and extra vegetables. Or anything you fancy.





This really is incredibly easy, and of course the sauce and filling can be varied to taste.

If you eat fish, do you have a favourite preparation method? Or a favourite type of fish?


8 comments:

  1. I used to make fish parcels like this *all* the time when I lived at home (my parents were not into the vegetarian/vegan thing on a regular basis!), mostly I did Asian flavours like this but I remember a really bizarre carrot, leek and anchovy on blue eye recipe that we all felt a bit odd about!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to do this too. I haven't eaten fish for quite some time now though. I love all the flavours you whacked in there...just musing, what do reckon swapping a tofu bundle in the parcel instead with those flavours?

    ReplyDelete
  3. We made fish parcels last week, with salmon, very similar to yours, I think I used sumac and something else only I can't remember... I think they are a lovely way to cook fish as you end up with a little sauce to drizzle over your rice or cous cous or whatever. I love this group of flavours too :) Other than that I tend to egg and breadcrumb fish and fry it in a very old fashioned and fattening way !

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Hannah
    Yes, my Dad isn't too keen on vegetarian dishes either :P That carrot, leek and anchovy combination sounds most intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @cityhippyfarmgirl
    Now you've got me musing on vegetarian adaptations :) I think tofu would work well in flavour, but I'm not sure how the texture would work? I'm also pondering vegetables like pumpkin, sweet potato, perhaps with some nuts...

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Joanna @ Zeb Bakes
    The bonus sauce is definitely a highlight - and such an easy way to get that benefit. I like your alternate approach to fish too :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do like a fish parcel too, but there are a couple of other things I like doing. A fillet of trout topped with thinly sliced lemon, a shake of garlic salt and oven baked. Salmon pan fried then topped with terriaki sauce at the last minute. Flat head tails crumbed in a mix of lemon zest, finely chopped parsley and breadcrumbs. So many good options - such a pity my other half does not eat fish!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Lisa
    Oh no! How frustrating. It's almost the opposite in our house, my partner would eat fish more often than I prepare it I think. He also has chicken once a week or so, but I'm happy to use that as an opportunity to make the vegetarian things I like and he doesn't!

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).