Friday, August 12, 2011

5 things I would like to make

This is a short-list of foods I've thought about making for some time, but not quite got around to. I'm hoping that by listing them here, I'll be motivated to give them a try sooner rather than later! My goal is to try all of them before the end of the year.

Rice paper rolls


I love these, but I don't love the $5 price tag per pack of 3. I have actually made them before, but it was some years back and I was a bit put off by the fiddly-ness. I think I've gained patience with age, so I'm hoping a repeat effort might prove more successful.

My favourite type are vegetarian with slightly spicy tofu mixed in with the vegetables. And mint.





Vegan chocolate mousse



One of my favourite childhood food memories is of discovering mousse. It was a joyous day!

Although there are lots of recipes for vegan chocolate pudding out there, I want to create the fluffiness of mousse. 

This texture would do just fine. As would this one.

Yum!





Almond milk

I'm not sure if I would make this on a regular basis, but I'd like to try it at least once. Again, the financial savings would be big. Being able to make the amount I want would also be nice, seeing as I rarely get through a tetrapack of milk in the recommended time.


Another motivator is that almond milk isn't that common in Australia. I've only ever seen one brand, and even that sometimes isn't available. I suspect the lack of variety contributes to the steep price tag.
Yoghurt coated banana chips

These are also uncommon in Australia - to the extent that I have never been able to find them, despite searching hard. Readily available in English supermarkets and health food stores, they're one of the foods I most miss when I return from UK holidays.

They aren't the healthiest substance around, so if I could figure out a way to reduce the sugar and saturated fat, that would be an added bonus. If not...well, I think I'd settle happily enough for the original.

Dairy free yoghurt

As I've mentioned before, I struggle to find dairy-free alternatives to yoghurt that appeal to me. The few soy varieties stocked near me are fruit flavoured and sugary.

I like plain, pot-set yoghurt and would love to make a soy variety at home.

I've also heard of coconut yoghurt in the US, which I find rather intriguing. I noticed this recipe for coconut milk through Oh She Glows today, so if I could generalise from that to yoghurt that would be fun too.








Do you have things you would like to make, but haven't yet got to? Or any tips for me regarding the above?!

8 comments:

  1. I love rice paper rolls and have made them a few times recently - I have bought a gadget to make it a bit quicker to make them but am yet to use it - would love to hear about your spicy tofu filling

    I love the idea of chocolate mousse made with avocado.

    The rest of the ideas sound great - was wondering just tonight how you would set yoghurt to coat truffles

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've made the mousse with tofu---and if I actually *liked* silken tofu, it would have gone better. I found it too sweet (which is easy enough to fix), except that then I remembered: I don't really like mousse. :D

    The almond milk has been on my list, too, for when I finally drag my food processor out of storage. But I do so love the unsweetened chocolate almond milk that comes readily in a box (and at $2 per when it's on sale!) that I haven't felt the urgency yet.

    Looking forward to watching you work through the list! Do we have a timeline on it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been making rice paper rolls for lunch recently. I'm not to fussy on how they are rolled though as they are usually inhaled :-)
    Coconut yogurt I'm intrigued by and yogurt banana chips... Now that could be something indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Johanna GGG
    I've never heard of a rice paper gadget - clever. If you use yours, let me know how it goes!

    Hopefully I'll be able to figure out the yoghurt coating and let you know how it works.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Stephanie @ extremebalance.net/blog
    Believe me, if I had access to $2 unsweetened chocolate almond milk, I would not be feeling the need to make it! Wow.

    Timeline = by the end of the year. No specific order in mind :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @cityhippyfarmgirl.com
    Oh believe me, they are. I would rate them above chocolate, and that is saying something! I just hope I can do them justice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love making rice paper rolls! But if you soak them too long the paper will tear so I find a big dinner plate with hot water is enough for me to place the sheet in and quickly remove so it doesn't stick together and it doesn't tear.
    Add lots of mint! And also half a cherry tomato for a pop of flavour. I have no idea what the gadget is you mention :)

    Coconut yoghurt sounds great, coconut yoghurt covered banana chips dipped in chocolate - now that would be yum! Love coconut, banana and chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Mrs Bok - The Bok Flock
    Thanks for the rice paper roll tip. That may have been where I went wrong when I tried them before: over-soaking and thus easy tearing.

    Coconut yoghurt banana chips sound almost too good to be true! If I could make those I'd be very happy indeed :)

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).