Saturday, June 18, 2011

Vegetable stirfry for health

Sadly, I think I was a little over-optimistic in my last post. I'm not quite better. My voice has also decided to depart, so conversation is a little challenging.

Fortunately, I have progressed from the fruit / English muffins / soup phase that saw me consume a packet of English muffins in a few days and eat no vegetables outside of soup form. I know, not exactly food for healing.

This stirfry, on the other hand, is.



Vegetable Stirfry for Health

As with most stirfrys, a recipe is almost redundant here. You could throw in any combination of vegetables and flavours you have to hand, and it would probably turn out just as well.


However, I enjoyed it  so much I'm documenting the 'recipe' for posterity.

Serves 4 as a side dish or 2 - 3 if you eat bowlfuls on their own.

1 large onion, diced
2 medium carrots, sliced
1 large capsicum, chopped
Small head of brocolli, cut into florets
3 large mushrooms
1 tin of Asian-style vegetables (baby corn, water chestnuts, bean sprouts)
~1tbsp fresh coriander, chopped (or equivalent dried)
~2tbsp soy sauce
~2tbsp sweet chilli sauce

(I would have included ginger but had run out)

  • Saute onion until slightly golden, then add carrot and capsicum and 1tbsp each of soy & sweet chilli sauce.
  • When carrot is starting to soften, add the brocolli and mushroom.
  • After a few minutes, add the tinned Asian vegetables, the remaining soy & sweet chilli sauce, and the coriander.
  • Cook over medium heat for an additional few minutes, and serve.

Extremely easy, and extremely delicious. Of course, if you were feeling less cold-filled and more motivated, this pairs well with meat or meat alternatives, and rice and/or noodles. We did have it with noodles on the night I made it, but I then ate a bowl plain the next day.


I only wish I'd made more!

Are you a stir fry fan? What's your standard flavour combination?

8 comments:

  1. I used to love sweet chilli sauce and always had a bottle about but then I went off stir fries and stopped buying it - now I make stirfries without it but every now and again I hanker after it still. I also miss having a wok but am still holding off buying another because my kitchen seems too full.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no get well soon!! I put lots of garlic, ginger and lemongrass into my sitrfries...and chillies!
    Hope your voice returns soon and you feel a whole lot better x

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Johanna GGG
    Sweet chilli sauce is pretty much the only sauce I like actually - I'm not a fan of salad dressings or sauces in general, but this seems to work for me!

    On the wok front, I have a one, but often stir fry in a non-stick pan :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Mrs Bok - The Bok Flock
    Thank you - I'm feeling considerably improved today :)

    Thanks for the lemongrass idea for stirfries too...for some reason that's not something I've ever tried. Next time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ugh, I am sorry you are still unwell. If any food has the ability to make you better, this stir fry is it! Yummy and healthy, make you strong like bull (said in a goofy Russian accent).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Poor thing! My voice fled on Sunday - rather problematic, as I was hosting the blogger meet-up that day. I was the weird shouty-honking lady at the event :P

    Get better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Carolyn
    Hehe - strong like bull indeed :D Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Hannah
    Oh no! You've been sick longer than me I think...definitely time to get well again! I hope you're feeling better and the shouty-honking-ness is gone :P

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).