Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Chocolate chip cookies for my brother

Over the weekend, my 'little' brother moved out of home. This wasn't entirely unexpected, as he has been talking about moving into a shared rental with friends for some time. He's also in his 20's, which may be deemed an appropriate age to leave home (even in Australia, where the 'going away to college / university' tradition doesn't apply in the same was as in England or America).

However, he's still studying, which I always interpreted as a good reason to stay at home, and he's the first of my two younger siblings to leave the family unit.

Thus, it felt a bit odd.



As my brother is only 3 and a bit years younger than me, I've not tended to feel parental towards him. I saved that for my sister, who at 7.5 years my junior was 'blessed' with 3 parents growing up.




I think my brother and I had a fairly typical sibling relationship, alternating between giggles, jealousy, games, the odd fight, and mutual understanding over the family-based irritations that only siblings can understand. The boredom of sitting through Saturday morning tap and tile selections when we were building a house, for example.




However, when thinking of him living independently, my maternal instincts kicked in. And what better way to soothe those and ease his transition to living alone than with chocolate chip cookies?




Mama Pea's chocolate chip cookies at that.

I ordered the Peas and Thank You book a few weeks ago, after seeing a plethora of positive reviews around the blogosphere. As expected, it is delightful.

Since receiving it last week, I've marked several recipes to try and thoroughly enjoyed the stories of the Pea household. The book really is like the blog, but in print form.

Helpfully, the Homestyle Chocolate Chip Cookies with Sea Salt also leapt out at me as an edible housewarming gift for my brother.




As this chocolate chip recipe is in the book but not online, I won't repeat it here. However, I was tossing up between making these cookies and the Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Balls. The recipe for the latter is online, as an easy-to-access alternative.

Pre-baking 


Post-baking


Packed!

These were easy to make, vegan (if using non-dairy milk, margarine and chocolate chips), and add a nice twist to standard chocolate chip cookies. I used to be skeptical of salt in sweet recipes, but I was converted after trying Lindt Excellence dark chocolate with sea salt. It works! As do these cookies.

If nothing else, I hope they give my brother bargaining power with his housemates :)

16 comments:

  1. You're such a good sister. I'll bet your brother and his new flat mates loved them.
    I still feel like I need to look out for my little brothers. Despite one of them having lived out of home for the past 8 years, has a great paying job, and travels frequently.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, you're a good big sister! You're right, choc chip cookies are always a good way to ease the transition.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this post made me miss my little brother (who lives 8 hours away!)
    I ordered Mama Pea's book yesterday!!! I cant wait for it to arrive !

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sure these will bring your brother some brownie points in his new household and a bit of comfort when/if he misses home

    ReplyDelete
  5. @cityhippyfarmgirl
    I think there's something about younger siblings that will always make them 'young' in older siblings minds. I'm quite glad I got to be the eldest and experience the slight protectiveness that comes with the territory.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Carolyn
    Indeed...there aren't many situations not aided by chocolate and/or baked goods :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Lisa (bakebikeblog)
    I had lots of fun on the afternoon my copy arrived :) Enjoy it when it comes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Johanna GGG
    Thanks Johanna...I hope so. I think he's had a few nostalgic moments already!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nawwwww... Your the best. Love the pictures too. Your so cute. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aw, what a lucky brother! My brother is one of my best friends, so it always makes me happy to see siblings with a similar relationship!

    ReplyDelete
  11. did you get him beer to go with his cookies? ;)

    Yay for him! In Brazil, people only leave home to get married, which deprives them of the awesome developmental experience of living out... a time I loved from the first! To have that *and* cookies? Wild.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aw I almost teared up at your last family pic - too sweet! What a lucky man to have a sister like you. It's so funny that our maternal instincts come out in the form of food ..

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Hannah
    I always love your brother-related posts. You do seem to have a pretty brilliant relationship :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Stephanie @ extremebalance.net/blog
    I did consider beer...but decided against it after realising he probably didn't need any encouragement in that line! I fear the perks of living alone will result in a few hangovers.

    ReplyDelete
  15. @Keely aka The Richest Girl in Bondi
    So true! I often use food as a go-to when I want to show affection.

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).