Saturday, May 25, 2013

No bake, high raw banana bread bites - vegan and gluten free

These banana bread bites are a blatant rip off of my vegan brownie bites. Fortunately, I think it's acceptable to rip off your own recipes. Plus, when you're on to a good thing, why stop at one variation?



Like the brownie bites, these are made from a short ingredient list and are incredibly easy to put together. However, where the brownies used avocado to bind with coconut flour, these use banana. Instead of cocoa, we have vanilla and spices. Throw in some dates and you have the end result. Truly - that is it.

 It sounds too simple to work, but, somehow, it does. Very well.


Banana bread bites
No bake, high raw, vegan and gluten free
Makes 8 small bites


Ingredients
1 medium ripe banana
1/4 cup coconut flour
6 dates, chopped in half
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp mixed spice
1 tsp ground ginger

Method
Add all ingredients to a food processor and mix to combine. Process until smooth and starting to clump together. (You could probably make these without a food processor too, if you chop the dates finely and mash the banana well.)

Transfer to a small silicon baking dish, or metal dish lined with baking paper. Set in the fridge for at least 4 hours. Slice, and serve.

Mr Bite photo bombing!

Bananas aren't my favourite fruit, but in this format, we get on just fine. In fact, we get on so well that I'm wondering what else bananas could be used to create. Banana bread nut truffle balls, I am thinking of you...

Submitted to 5 Ingredient Mondays.

What have you made recently that seems too good to be true?

38 comments:

  1. Yum these look great! I always rip off my own recipes and rehash them and change them :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You weren't kidding. What a short ingredient list! This sure sounds like a healthy snack I wouldn't mind eating all day long. Haha Mr. Bite clearly couldn't wait to try it ;). I LOVE to add bananas to baked goods! The other night, I made balsamic glazed cauliflower, and it turned out superb!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, that sounds like a great way of preparing cauliflower! And I think I'll be joining you in throwing banana into baked goods more often after these (well, baked and not baked).

      Delete
  3. I don't eat many bananas on their own but they always seem to make their way into the house - I made a banana bread last week that fell apart but tasted great - though I cooked mine and am thinking of doing some variations on it - unlike you I usually think chocolate will improve any baking rather than taking chocolate out of it :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I just like my chocolate straight up - banana would detract from it :-)

      Delete
  4. I've never eaten a no-bake banana bread. How interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome! I am so loving these given my "no grains" diet right now! Pinned :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would definitely fit well with no grains! I hope you enjoy it Gabby :)

      Delete
  6. Oh wow! These soun so quick and easy - oh and YUMMO! We are banana-fiends in this house - Misty would eat 4 a day if I let him ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a bit ho-hum about bananas myself, but if we run out, there are SERIOUS consequences for Mr B's lunch!

      Delete
  7. It's amazing that these hold together so well when there's so few binding ingredients and they set in the fridge. I love the combination of dates and bananas xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. banana bread nut truffle balls indeed!
    We'd be lost without bananas in this household...they hold us up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are a pretty easy fuel source, that is for sure. And generally a hit with children everywhere!

      Delete
  9. These look great! I had a disaster baking with coconut flour this wknd so I think it would be good to stick with using it in raw recipes :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had some disasters baking it too! Raw is far safer :-)

      Delete
  10. YUM! I have some frozen bananas that I want to get creative with (there's always banana muffins, which I love, but wanna mix things up a bit!), so I think I'll try this recipe instead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to admit that if my bananas reach the frozen stage, they never escape being whizzed into smoothies or ice cream ;)

      Delete
  11. These sound great! And I still have all that coconut flour to use...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, yes - you could make these AND the chocolate brownie bites!

      Delete
  12. Oh I do love a healthy sweet treat, especially for the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the fact that these have so few ingredients but look so good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it that they have so few ingredients and taste so good :-)

      Delete
  14. Yes I think ripping off your own recipe is totally allowed - these look great.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yum!!! Such a good idea. I may need to add a little chocolate to this though. (I love chocolate chips in my banana bread).

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those look yummy! I love the simple ingredients. I had some cheesecake the other day that was the most amazing cheesecake I have ever had. I could have eaten multiple slices of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmm - now I want to know the details of it!

      Delete
  17. Agree! Why fix it if it aint broke? Hehe. I always change my brownie recipes :) These look awesome. I'de have to steal one too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think stealing is generally a good sign, when you think about it ;)

      Delete
  18. Yummy - these are definitely going on my 'to make' list -as opposed to my 'to bake' list ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Mega yes. Needs peanut butter.

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).