Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Easter baking part II

Easter baking part I featured a repeat effort at berry oat slices and introduced a vegan lemon pie slice.

Both involved an oven and, as the name would suggest, baking.

Easter baking part II actually didn't involve any baking. No oven, no heat, no cooking.

I know, my title lies.

The upside is, these two products are very easy to make and are well worth the minimal effort required!



Hannah's recipe can also make spreadable Chocolate Coconut Hazelnut butter, and I had originally planned to make half butter-y and half fudge-y. In the end, though, I ended up going for all fudge. I am glad I did...



...because the fudge-y squares are good :)

The only modification I made to Hannah's recipe was to use 35g of dessicated coconut instead of 55g, as I didn't want the coconut to be too overpowering. It worked brilliantly. I found the taste to be very slightly reminiscent of a Golden Rough, but better, and more adult-like in taste and texture.



Incidentally, I promise the squares in my pictures aren't really the size of brownies (although I can understand why one might want to make them that large). I should have put something in for scale - they're about 2cm across.


Second: Two varieties of raw (or nearly raw) balls.

The first variety was a standard 1 cup raw almonds, 1 cup chopped dates, 1 tsp vanilla affair. Process the almonds, add the dates and vanilla, process some more, and roll balls in dessicated coconut before setting in the fridge.



The second was adapted from a Nestle recipe for fruity chocolate truffles, which I had tucked away for some reason that I am not fully aware of (I don't usually make recipes provided by companies / brands).

I processed 1/2 cup raw almonds, then added 1/2 cup chopped dates, 1/2 cup sultanas, 1/2 cup chopped dark chocolate, 1 tsp cocoa and 1 tsp vanilla and processed some more. I rolled these balls in extra cocoa.


The chocolate date balls were softer than the plain date / almond ones, so could be set (or stored) in the freezer as an alternative to the fridge.

Each batch made around 20.



I actually found the chocolate version of these to be a little disappointing - I thought they lacked punch. I think if I made them again, I would add some peppermint essence, chilli, or some other flavour to give them a kick.

My partner also commented that they were a bit sweet, and I think adding other flavours would balance out the date / chocolate sweetness.

With that said, my brother and sister reportedly liked them, so it might depend on your taste.

I really like the plain date and almond ones though. There's not much that can go wrong with that combination (although having said that, I am probably now inviting a date and almond disaster to visit my kitchen...).


All in all, a productive food weekend! And probably enough baking for a little while...

4 comments:

  1. No-bake items still count as baking, in my books. They look great, but I am sorry to hear that the chocolate ones didn't live up to expectations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Carolyn
    Yes, I use the term 'baking' quite loosely myself! It was a pity about the chocolate balls, but at least the chocolate fudge squares made up for it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Squee!! Kari, I'm so so glad the fudge worked out for you! I may well try your less-coconut version, as I don't like too strong a coconut flavour either (luckily I've never found it too strong in the original, but it probably depends on the chocolate used too).

    Also, date-nut snack balls are a serious weakness of mine too. Bit of a shame about the Nestle-inspired one, but at least your family could help you eat those up! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Hannah
    Yes, I think more coconut would work well with darker chocolate...mine was only about 60% cocoa. I think this recipe would be (even more) amazing with 85%+ cocoa!

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).