Thursday, April 14, 2011

Apple pie spice muffins - Vegan

Over the past two days, I've felt like baking muffins. I find muffins easy to make, easy to adapt, and easy to improvise a recipe for, so they are often my default baking choice.

I didn't just want to make any muffins though. I set myself a challenge: vegan, low in fat, and without too much added sugar. I also wanted them to feature apples.
The recipe I ended up with drew inspiration from all over the place: various vegan blogs (e.g., Oh She Glows, Veganise This, Mama Pea...), non-vegan muffin books I had at home, and my own vague ideas (always risky!).

Here's what I ended up with. 
  
Apple pie spice muffins

Vegan, low-fat, and with less sugar than your average baked product, these moist muffins provide an apple and spice burst without weighing you down.
Print recipe

          Ingredients

Set One:
  • 3/4 cup whole wheat plain flour
  • 3/4 cup plain flour
  • 3/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp ground ginger
  • 1/2 tsp mixed spice (or you could use nutmeg)
  • 1/2 cup (packed) brown sugar
  • 1/4 tsp (a pinch) cream of tartar

Set Two:
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 3/4 cup non-dairy milk (I used non-fat soy)
  • Egg replacer to the equivalent of 2 eggs (I used Orgran, made up with water as directed)
  • 1/2 cup apple sauce

Set Three:
  • 1 large cooking apple, grated
  • 1 large cooking apple, diced
  • 2 tbspn brown sugar

         
Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 200'C or 180'C fan-forced, and prepare a 12-pan muffin tray.

2. In a large bowl, mix ingredient Set One (dry ingredients).

3. In a medium bowl, prepare egg replacer and add other ingredients from Set Two (wet ingredients); mix.

4. Add wet ingredients to dry.

5. Add 1 tbspn of the extra brown sugar in ingredient Set Three to the grated apple. Add to the muffin mixture and mix well.

6. Add the diced apples to the muffin mixture and fold through.

7. Spoon batter into muffin pans. Sprinkle the last tbspn of brown sugar across the top of the muffins.



Optional step: Spill muffin batter around your pan, and on the benchtop.




8. Bake for 15 - 20 minutes, until slightly golden and a skewer comes out mostly clean.




The muffins were super moist, and very apple-y!



The diced apple pieces also provided a nice contrast to the surrounding apple-flavoured batter.
 

I did trial a drizzle of icing sugar, water and vanilla over a few of the muffins, to give added sweetness, but overall I preferred them plain.



  
Sultanas would probably work well in this mixture too :)

The nutritional profile, as calculated using the Australian Food Standards nutritional calculator:



This is the first time I've baked with egg replacer, or attempted to vegan-ise a reciple, and I was surprised at how easy it turned out to be. I think I started off with an easy target, but I'm looking forward to experimenting more!

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful, beautiful! I just finished the last of my sunflower carrot muffins and have been trying to figure out what to bake next. This is a definite contender!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Hannah
    Funnily enough, as I was photographing these, they reminded me of your sunflower and carrot muffins! Completely different flavours, but I suppose the same healthy approach :) And both very good options for work afternoon teas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oohh! After reading your post, I think I might need to make some muffins too! This is lovely. I like how you used healthier alternatives in this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These sound lovely. Nothing better than a healthy muffin

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).