Thursday, February 22, 2018

African sweet potato and tomato quinoa

I've become very partial to the African flavour mix of sweet potato, smoky tomato or paprika, and creamy peanut butter. This dish is a simple twist on this classic combination and it is satisfying, comforting and tasty. It's also very easy.


Long term readers may recall that I go through phases with quinoa. I love it always but only remember it sometimes. Having brought it back into rotation, you may find more quinoa recipes appear before long. In saying that, you could also make this dish with rice or other grains. If you want to add protein, some chickpeas would be a nice addition too.

I made this on a whim last week and enjoyed it over several days, shared with Mini Bite. It is best hot but also enjoyable cold and will package and travel well for work lunches.


African sweet potato and tomato quinoa
Healthy comfort food!
Serves 4
Vegan

Author: Bite-sized thoughts

Ingredients
2/3 cup uncooked quinoa
1 medium-large sweet potato, cooked and roughly chopped
1 tin (375g) crushed tomatoes
1/2 cup corn kernals
2 tbsp peanut butter
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp chilli (optional)

Spinach, to serve

Method
Bring 1-1/3 cups water to the boil in a medium-large saucepan and add the quinoa. Simmer, covered, for 15 minutes or until the water is absorbed and the quinoa cooked.

Add the cooked sweet potato, tomatoes, corn, peanut butter, paprika and chilli (if using) to the saucepan and stir to combine. Add the spinach just before serving and stir through to incorporate.

Are there any foods you've re-discovered lately?

8 comments:

  1. This looks wonderful! I could go for a big bowl of it right now, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm always interested in savoury recipes with peanut butter in, because I never think of putting peanut butter with much apart from toast and occasional Japanese recipe. This looks really filling and satisfying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joey. I'm pretty liberal with adding peanut butter to many things!!

      Delete
  3. I get sad at this flavour combination as I would love to eat peanut butter and smoked paprika in a savoury dish but allergies in the family prevent this :-) So I will just look on at your dish wistfully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, I am sorry. It would be delicious with almond butter too, albeit different.

      Delete
  4. You are reminding me that I haven't cooked quinoa in a dish in at least a couple of weeks! This is a great reminder.
    "It is best hot but also enjoyable cold and will package and travel well for work lunches."
    I like hearing this as I sometimes need a good meal to make for supper, but want to take it leftover in my lunches. Sounds simple, yet delicious - this will make it into my rotation for sure!

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).