Sunday, December 10, 2017

Vegan pumpkin spice cake

Last week was my birthday, and birthdays are always a good excuse for cake. For home consumption I made the hummingbird cake I've posted twice before, which was just as good on this occasion as on occasions past. I also made a pumpkin spice cake to take to work, using the rest of the tin of pumpkin I recently bought.

Mr Bite doesn't like pumpkin, which is a shame, because I'd love to enter this cake into regular rotation. It was truly delicious. Three colleagues asked for the recipe, and whilst pumpkin preparation is annoying if you don't have the tinned variety to hand, I can attest it would be worth it here.




Unfortunately I don't have many photos to share, because I forgot to take any before I got to work and then snapped some very hastily on my iPad whilst there. There are, however, some lovely images on It Doesn't Taste Like Chicken, from which I adapted this recipe.


In addition to eating cake, I have been fortunate to choose from many vegan chocolates this week. Mr Bite excelled in selecting some delicious options as presents, ranging from intense dark bars to creamy dairy free truffles. It's been a good week of food choices!


Vegan pumpkin spice cake
A delicious cake balancing pumpkin undertones with delicate spices
Makes two loaf cakes, to serve approximately 20

Lightly adapted from It Doesn't Taste Like Chicken


Ingredients
For the cake
2-1/2 cups plain flour
1-3/4 cup white sugar
1-1/2 tbsp mixed spice
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1-1/2 cups non-dairy milk of choice (I used unsweetened almond)
1 cup pureed pumpkin (either tinned or fresh pumpkin cooked, mashed and pureed
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp vanilla extract

For the icing (this makes a bit more than you really need)
3 cups icing sugar
1/2 non-dairy margarine
1/2 cup non-dairy cream cheese
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 – 2 tbsp non-dairy milk

Method
Preheat your oven to 180’C (375'F) and grease / line two loaf trays (the original recipe called for round cake tins so you could do that instead).

In a large mixing bowl, whisk the dry ingredients together (flour, sugar, spice, baking soda, baking powder, salt).

In a medium mixing bowl, mix the wet ingredients together (milk, pumpkin, oil, vinegar, vanilla).

Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix with a wooden spoon until just combined.

Divide the batter between your cake pans and bake for approximately 35 minutes. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.

To make the icing, beat all icing ingredients together with electric beaters. Ice once the cakes are cooled.

Do you have any favourite cakes, birthday or otherwise?

10 comments:

  1. This looks so deliciously moist, I'm not surprised that people asked for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks great! I'm betting it will be one you are remembered and envied for!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Belated Birthday Wishes Kari. It looks delicious, I find tinned pumpkin hard to come by locally, but would def. pick up a tin to give this cake a go - I can see why some of your colleagues would want the recipe too, pumpkin is not an ingredient we cook with much in the UK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny how pumpkin isn't a thing here. In this case it is worth seeking out :-)

      Delete
  4. Happy birthday!! This looks like a lovely cake, and I like pumpkin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. belated happy birthday - your pumpkin cake sounds lovely - perhaps it can be on regular rotation for work - or maybe mini bite might be a fan!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy belated birthday! I wish tinned pumpkin were more readily available here. This cake sounds and looks amazing... no wonder the recipe was in demand. Maybe it might freeze in pieces nicely for those moments when cake cravings hit!

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).