Sunday, April 9, 2017

Sweet potato and spinach nuggets

'Tater tots' are one of those American products that I have heard of for many years without quite knowing what they are. (Other examples, although I set these ones to rest when I visited America a few years back, include graham crackers and Twinkies.) It turns out, according to Wikipedia, that they are "pieces of deep fried, grated potatoes". I am saying all of this because I adapted today's recipe from these spinach sweet potato tater tots on Physical Kitchness. I could have called my adaptation tater tots too, but as I am such a novice to the term and these don't feature frying or grated potato, I am using the more generic 'nugget' instead.


Terminology aside, these are delicious whatever you choose to call them. Since making them the first time, I have done a repeat batch with kale instead of spinach and they were just as good. They are a very easy side dish and, if you have children, perfect for little hands to grasp.




Sweet potato and spinach nuggets
Makes 20 or so nuggets
Vegan and gluten free



Ingredients
Approximately 2 cups of mashed sweet potato (from 2 medium sweet potatoes)
1 tbsp almond butter
3 tbsp besan (chickpea) flour
1 cup baby spinach leaves, roughly torn
1/4 cup non-dairy milk of choice (I used unsweetened almond)
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground paprika

Method
Preheat your oven to 180'C (375'F) and line a baking tray with non-stick paper or foil.

Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl and stir / mash until fully combined.

Scoop dessertspoons of mixture and roll between your hands to create nuggets. Place on the prepared tray and then bake for approximately 25 minutes, until golden brown and firm to the touch.

Can be served hot or cold.

Submitted to Healthy Vegan Fridays.

Do you know / enjoy tater tots?! Or are there foods from a country other than your own that you have always wondered about?

12 comments:

  1. A sweet potato nugget by any other name would taste as sweet! I love that these are full of healthy ingredients, but they'd still be good fun to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. they look delicious - I always thing that tater tots are the same as potato gems that my mum sometimes served us from a packet when we were little - they were always a treat though not the healthiest way to eat potato - not at all like these which look delicious but far more healthy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, I know potato gems - you're probably right! I don't think I ever had them but recall seeing them in Australia.

      Delete
  3. It always amazes me when we as bloggers don't know the same foods. I always think of us as knowing the same things but forget that we're all from different countries because the internet can make us so close. Like your post last week, I had no idea what a Golden Rough was! :)

    I used to LOVE tater tots growing up but they weren't very healthy. These look like a wonderful and healthier version!

    Thanks so much for linking up with us for Healthy Vegan Fridays! I’m Pinning and sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary Ellen - and yes, it's so funny how we all speak English but food terminology can still be so different / products so unique!

      Delete
  4. sweet potato have featured in my diet a lot this year, long may it continue and these sweet potato nuggets don't only look tempting, I bet they were delicious too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweet potato is on high rotation here too - I think I always have it to hand and it's such a useful vegetable!

      Delete
  5. Tater tots always make me think of Napolean Dynamite, which has a scene where tater tots feature. These nuggets sound delish. In Oz, they sell oversized tater tots called Potato Gems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can know picture tater tots as potato gems, which is very helpful :-) And I am laughing at your reference to Napolean Dynamite!

      Delete
  6. I hate to admit it, but I actually love tater tots. The reason I don't like to admit it is because we always buy the packaged ones which aren't super healthy.
    These sound great though and would put my mind at ease for enjoying them more often. I'll have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).