Monday, February 20, 2017

Vegan creme bunnies (or eggs)

With time whizzing by, Easter is on the horizon again. We have had mild sunny weather in the UK this week and so spring is on the horizon too. It is a nice time of year. It is also a time of year for chocolate (although, for me, any time of year is a time of year for chocolate!). 


Lest you think I am impressively organised with an Easter post, I will say upfront that I am actually very disorganised. You see, I made these creme bunnies last Easter but didn't have time to post them before Easter Sunday. They were so enjoyable that I saved the recipe and pictures in a draft post, and so, nearly 12 months later, I can share them with you now.



The creme filling here features coconut cream, coconut sugar and custard powder. I remember that it was delicious and that the bunnies did not last long! The filling is firmer than commercial creme eggs but has a similar taste. You can use whatever chocolate you like for the coating, but a good quality one will give a better flavour result.


Vegan creme bunnies or eggs
Delicious, vegan Easter treats that can be made as eggs or as other shapes depending on your available moulds
Makes approximately 10 small eggs or 6 or so larger ones
Vegan

Author: Bite-sized thoughts
Print recipe

Ingredients
1/4 cup coconut cream (the solid part of a can)
2 tbsp coconut sugar
1 tbsp custard powder
Dash vanilla essence
150g dairy free chocolate

Silicon chocolate moulds, or small alfoil muffin cases (if using the latter you will have creme cups rather than eggs)

Method
Beat the coconut cream, coconut sugar, custard powder and vanilla together until smooth, using a small blender / food processor or an electric mixer. Set aside.

Melt the chocolate and use approximately one-third of the melted mixture to line the bottom of your chocolate moulds or muffin cases. Place in the fridge for a few minutes until slightly set (it will still be soft).

Spoon the creme filling over the chocolate base, and then use the remaining melted chocolate to cover the tops and sides.

Allow to set in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours or overnight.


12 comments:

  1. Kari these are awesome. I really love the golden custard filling. I'd love to give these a go, my only hesitation is I am not really that much into chocolate - so it will have to been when I am in the mood - also we still have lots of choc boxes from Christmas to eat. By the way, Where did you get your bunny moulds from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am always amazed at your lack of enthusiasm for chocolate :-) I'm glad you like the look of these though.

      I'm afraid I don't remember where I got the moulds from! I can say they are from Australia and many years ago, so probably not much help to you. I wonder if Amazon or similar would sell them?>

      Delete
    2. HOW I GET A LOAN HELP @ 2% INTEREST RATE With victoriafinancier@outlook.com

      I was not sure of getting a legit loan lender online But when i could not face my Debt any more, my son was on hospital bed for surgery that involve huge money and i also needed some money to refinance and get a good home then i have to seeks for Assistance from friends and when there was no hope any more i decide to go online to seek a loan and i find VICTORIA LAWSON Trust Loan Firm (victoriafinancier@outlook.com) with 2% interest Rate and applied immediately with my details as directed. Within seven Days of my application She wired my loan amount with No hidden charges and i could take care of my son medical bills, Renew my rent bill and pay off my debt. I will advice every loan seeker to contact VICTORIA LAWSON LOAN Company with victoriafinancier@outlook.com For easy and safe transaction.

      *Full Name:_________

      *Address:_________

      *Tell:_________

      *loan amount:_________

      *Loan duration:_________

      *Country:_________

      *Purpose of loan:_________

      *Monthly Income:__________

      *Occupation__________

      *Next of kin :_________

      *Email :_________

      Delete
  2. The idea of adding custard powder appeals though I almost bought a hot cross bun for sylvia yesterday and then caught myself saying it is not even shrove tuesday yet, not time yet for hot cross buns! So it still feels like a long time til easter but I know it will come soon and i am glad you have posted these and they look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I better not miss posting them two years in a row ;)

      Delete
  3. What a fab idea! I think this filling eould be great in all kinds of chocolates - I must give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would definitely generalise to non-Easter treats too :-)

      Delete
  4. Ooooh these are SO CUTE! I need a bunny mold. I really want to try making these - they sound super delicious. And a fun treat.
    What is custard powder? I'm not sure I've come across that. Is there something I can perhaps substitute? Do you think it would really change the recipe if I omitted it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if it's not an American product? It's really common in Australia and the UK - you use it to make custard from scratch. You could sub in cornflour as that's the main ingredient in custard powder, maybe with a bit of vanilla too for flavour :-)

      Delete
  5. Those are absolutely brilliant - so cute, and a type of chocolate that I really wish I had more of in my life! I've got some bunny moulds at home, only they're massive - but I think in this case that's no bad thing, I can just have supersized versions!

    ReplyDelete
  6. HOW I GET A LOAN HELP @ 2% INTEREST RATE With victoriafinancier@outlook.com

    I was not sure of getting a legit loan lender online But when i could not face my Debt any more, my son was on hospital bed for surgery that involve huge money and i also needed some money to refinance and get a good home then i have to seeks for Assistance from friends and when there was no hope any more i decide to go online to seek a loan and i find VICTORIA LAWSON Trust Loan Firm (victoriafinancier@outlook.com) with 2% interest Rate and applied immediately with my details as directed. Within seven Days of my application She wired my loan amount with No hidden charges and i could take care of my son medical bills, Renew my rent bill and pay off my debt. I will advice every loan seeker to contact VICTORIA LAWSON LOAN Company with victoriafinancier@outlook.com For easy and safe transaction.

    *Full Name:_________

    *Address:_________

    *Tell:_________

    *loan amount:_________

    *Loan duration:_________

    *Country:_________

    *Purpose of loan:_________

    *Monthly Income:__________

    *Occupation__________

    *Next of kin :_________

    *Email :_________

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).