Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Winter vegetable and kidney bean stew

This is not a recipe that will win points for beauty, innovation or excitement. It is, however, a recipe that may win you over with its hearty but nutritious simplicity. You probably have all the necessary ingredients to hand and it is budget-friendly to boot.


Sometimes, dinner is about what the cupboard can provide with minimal fuss. It is always a bonus when those meals are fuss-free but taste-filled and this was definitely such an example. It isn't radically different to other stews I have shared, and I have no doubt you make similar things yourself, but I'm a big believer in sharing the simple dishes as well as the complex ones. The flavourings in this come from oregano, paprika and maple syrup - as well as the vegetables themselves, of course. I know I'll be pleased to have the recipe to refer to again in the future.




Winter vegetable and kidney bean stew
A simple, hearty and nutritious meal for two (increase portions as needed)
Vegan, low fat and gluten free

Author: Bite-sized thoughts


Ingredients
1 large potato, cut into chunks
1 large carrot, diced
1 tomato or equivalent in cherry tomatoes, roughly chopped
2 tbsp tomato paste
1/4 cup water
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp paprika
1 tbsp dried oregano
1 tsp maple syrup
1 tbsp cornflour
1 to 1-1/2 cups cooked kidney beans

Method
Place all ingredients except the kidney beans in a large saucepan and bring to simmering point. Reduce heat to low and allow to cook, covered, for at least 45 minutes. Add the kidney beans and allow to cook over low heat for a further 5 to 15 minutes, or until ready to serve.


What simple dishes are you enjoying at the moment?

12 comments:

  1. Interesting recipe. I guess I'm a died-in-the-wool meatatarian, though. I'd like it with meat!

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Something you're not too likely to find here ;) I'm sure meat could be added though.

      Delete
  2. I'd happily eat a bowlful of this. Our simple meals lately have either been vegan omelette and veg or hummus and veg.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband has just discovered that he can eat kidney beans (he thought he was allergic), so we are making lots of stews like this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nutritious and hearty is all that you need!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree with you, it's so good sometimes to be able to pull a few ingredients out of the pantry and have a delicious, simple dish.
    Thanks so much for sharing!
    Julie
    Gourmet Getaways

    ReplyDelete
  6. You had me at fuss-free and tasty :-) I love meals that can be thrown together with minimal babysitting. This looks likely to be a winter staple, perhaps dolloped with a spoonful of hommus or some pesto over the top... thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Right on all counts (except I think it looks pretty good too!) it's definitely the sort of meal that makes you want to do a little dance at the generosity of the food cupboards!

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).